Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus implications and possibilities/Re-opening?

Administrator

Default Coronavirus implications and possibilities/Re-opening?

This is getting more and more serious. Taking off my human compassion and tragedy hat for a moment and looking at this purely through LFC-tinted glasses, here's what I'd like and expect to see, assuming (not unrealistically) that this gets far worse before it gets better:
    1. We play Atletico - and qualify for the QFs - in front of a full house at Anfield. Looking very likely on the full house front anyway.

2. We wrap up the league as soon as possible, making us immune (pardon the pun) to any cancellations or postponements. This is hopeful but not certain as to gain the 6 points we need, assuming no more favors from City, the earliest we can do it is March 21st. It's possible, but unlikely, by then that there'll be a lockdown and postponements in place.

3. Continue with the CL, assuming qualification. This is the most obvious competition to take a hit. I can see UEFA and the various country FAs and governments either postponing or cancelling the tournament. The best case scenario might be all games behind closed doors which removes our considerable Anfield advantage.​

Default Re: Coronavirus implications and possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    This is getting more and more serious. Taking off my human compassion and tragedy hat for a moment and looking at this purely through LFC-tinted glasses, here's what I'd like and expect to see, assuming (not unrealistically) that this gets far worse before it gets better:
    1. We play Atletico - and qualify for the QFs - in front of a full house at Anfield. Looking very likely on the full house front anyway.

2. We wrap up the league as soon as possible, making us immune (pardon the pun) to any cancellations or postponements. This is hopeful but not certain as to gain the 6 points we need, assuming no more favors from City, the earliest we can do it is March 21st. It's possible, but unlikely, by then that there'll be a lockdown and postponements in place.

3. Continue with the CL, assuming qualification. This is the most obvious competition to take a hit. I can see UEFA and the various country FAs and governments either postponing or cancelling the tournament. The best case scenario might be all games behind closed doors which removes our considerable Anfield advantage.​
    I lost my human compassion and tragedy hat a while ago. I think I left it in a coat I lost which had a milk of human kindness flask in it. In among all the *tasteful* "at least those old climate deniers will be killed by the virus" comments I'd like to mention that I always hated meetings and open offices and am sorry to be proven right now that they can kill you.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

Hey, your work problems sound serious! Isn't there someone in HR who can help you? I mean, that's what HR are there for, no?

I see the City/Arsenal game has been cancelled* - in a harbinger of things to come - which means at the very least we don't claim the trophy at Goodison. Shame. But the sooner we do claim it, the better, because I do think games are going to be postponed which will delay the inevitable.

*postponed
    Last edited by Samarkand; March 11th, 2020 at 08:27 AM.

Do you think Pep really thinks we should cancel the rest of the season, because if the fans aren't there, it's not worth it or is it a ruse to deny us our first league win in 30 years?

I mean, it's not like Man City stadium is chock-a-block normally, in any case...
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

In truth, I really don't think he wants to deny us a title, but I do think he's loving the wind-up.

So my preseason bet for us to win the league still had £60 in it, but I'm worried enough about them cancelling the rest of the season and losing out to a technicality, that I laid it. Strange times.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

It’s more likely to be postponed than cancelled. In my opinion, the CL could well be cancelled, but I suspect the PL will be postponed, finishing in June or later, especially as Euro ‘20 has been moved to next summer. The space is there on the calendar to finish this in the summer.

It’s more likely to be postponed than cancelled. In my opinion, the CL could well be cancelled, but I suspect the PL will be postponed, finishing in June or later, especially as Euro ‘20 has been moved to next summer. The space is there on the calendar to finish this in the summer.
    True, but I figured I'd hedge my bet. No need to get greedy.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

UPDATE: I had read on the BBC that Euro 2020 was postponed until next summer, 2021. That page/report is no longer there and the update is now that UEFA and partners are meeting on Tuesday to consider this possibility. I think it will be postponed a year, but as of now, the finals are happening in June

The gist of the BBC item was that as the playoffs had not started, not all the finalists had been named, and there have been requests for every playoff game to be either postponed or played behind closed doors. The thinking was that postponement of the playoffs looked very likely and therefore that compressed the timeline for preparations. friendlies, etc. But not only that, gathering players from 24 countries from all across Europe, and beyond in some cases, was also going to be an unnecessary danger; furthermore, the loopy format of having 12+ different venues across 12+ countries was also seen as sheer lunacy in light of travel restrictions.

There we were - on our way to a first title in 30 years when ...

Looking on the bright side, instead of reading about the best Liverpool team I've seen since I started following them I get to read my favorite thing in the whole wide world.

Moral guidance from sportswriters. /S
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’