Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: A Return to the Wanda Metropolitano AND ANFIELD LEG.

Administrator

Default Re: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: A Return to the Wanda Metropolitano AND ANFIELD LEG.

So Fabinho is dropped, essentially for Henderson.

Administrator

Default Re: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: A Return to the Wanda Metropolitano

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    Iíll confess to being more than slightly uncomfortable with this whole notion that Anfield will make everything all right. Yes, the stadium has seen some remarkable European results over the years; yes, thereís no doubting that it can be and is an intimidating venue for opposing teams, but Iím not entirely convinced that Atletico are the type of team to wilt under pressure, as say, Barcelona were. (Having said that, I didnít think weíd do Barca before the second leg either).

The truth of Tuesday night was that Simone got it bang on and not for the first time, we do have a problem with well marshalled defensive sides. In fairness, most teams would have had a problem. The game was crying out for a Coutinho in his pomp to unpick the lock.

So far this season weíve managed the bus-parkers well, but often have needed an 85í+ goal to get the job done. The surprise on Tuesday is, I suppose, was that there was no late, late show. Weíve become very used to them, havenít we? Hopefully not overly reliant on them, Iíd like to think.

The return leg is set up for another glorious Anfield European night, but much like 85í+ goals, as we discovered on Tuesday, they donít always materialize. And thatís what bothers me.

Remove the Anfield factor from the equation, add in the dogged shithousery and very capable, sustained defending of Atletico and the fundamental question remains: do Klopp and the boys have what it takes to win by 2 in 3 weeks time?

They definitely can do it; Iím definitely hoping they do do it, but Iím definitely worried that Atlťtico have it within their capabilities to get the job done. Anfield alone wonít be enough.
    Kinda as I expected this leg to be.

Default Re: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: A Return to the Wanda Metropolitano AND ANFIELD LEG.

Well, we were much better this leg than the last leg, particularly in the 2nd half. We just missed a finish or two. Salah was our most dangerous attacker and our midfield was excellent across the three. Full-backs were also up to standard, as were our centre-backs.

My mother taught me that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

Milner was wide ****ing open.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Oh, and Jan Oblak is as good as everyone says he is.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Both sides did well in executing their respective managers' strategies. After the shaky first leg this was going to come down to big moments as we were playing well enough to win the tie. In those moments Oblak played to his level and Adrian played to his. And we go again.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly