Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: A Return to the Wanda Metropolitano AND ANFIELD LEG.

Default Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: A Return to the Wanda Metropolitano AND ANFIELD LEG.

Liverpool travel to the site of their most recent European title win for the first leg of the first knockout stage round of this season's Champions League. Atletico are always tough to break down and well marshalled and given they are suffering with a few injuries to their front line, I expect to see an even-more defensively-minded set-up.

A bore 0-0 draw might be on the cards and we haven't travelled particularly well in Europe, so this might be a good shout to lay Liverpool on the result. That said, we've gotten much better at breaking teams down, primarily through excellent crossing and more direct transition play. I'll go for the Norwich result and say 0-1 in our favour.

Dave's team:

Alisson

TAA Gomez VvD Robertson

Hendo Fabinho Gini

Salah Firmino Mane
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Default Re: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: A Return to the Wanda Metropolitano

Travelling squad:

Goalkeepers: Alisson, Adrian, Kelleher

Defenders: Van Dijk, Gomez, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Matip, Lovren

Midfielders: Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Minamino

Forwards: Firmino, Mane, Salah, Origi

Administrator

Alisson;

Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson;

Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum;

Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Adrian, Milner, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Minamino, Origi, Matip.

Administrator

63’. If, and that’s a big if now, but if Liverpool score one, they’ll score two. But so far it has all the feeling of one of those nights.

Well, I think that went more or less to Simeone's plan, then. Stadium looked like it was rocking and I'm sure it was a better game to watch in that atmosphere, than it was on the television.

Obviously, we didn't wake up until after they scored. Scruffy goal, but one that we probably should have dealt with (and have been doing). Over the whole match, only Robertson and Alisson come away with decent marks. Trent was uncharacteristically shoddy with his crosses and set pieces, though I think a large part of that was the close attention he was receiving.

Defensive masterclass from Simeone, with a sprinkling of the dark arts thrown in. 1-0 is a dangerous result for us, as they look capable of scoring one at Anfield.

Good lesson and no doubt we will raise our game in three week's time, but a bit of a wake-up call and our CL prospects remain on a knife's edge.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

I’ll confess to being more than slightly uncomfortable with this whole notion that Anfield will make everything all right. Yes, the stadium has seen some remarkable European results over the years; yes, there’s no doubting that it can be and is an intimidating venue for opposing teams, but I’m not entirely convinced that Atletico are the type of team to wilt under pressure, as say, Barcelona were. (Having said that, I didn’t think we’d do Barca before the second leg either).

The truth of Tuesday night was that Simone got it bang on and not for the first time, we do have a problem with well marshalled defensive sides. In fairness, most teams would have had a problem. The game was crying out for a Coutinho in his pomp to unpick the lock.

So far this season we’ve managed the bus-parkers well, but often have needed an 85’+ goal to get the job done. The surprise on Tuesday is, I suppose, was that there was no late, late show. We’ve become very used to them, haven’t we? Hopefully not overly reliant on them, I’d like to think.

The return leg is set up for another glorious Anfield European night, but much like 85’+ goals, as we discovered on Tuesday, they don’t always materialize. And that’s what bothers me.

Remove the Anfield factor from the equation, add in the dogged shithousery and very capable, sustained defending of Atletico and the fundamental question remains: do Klopp and the boys have what it takes to win by 2 in 3 weeks time?

They definitely can do it; I’m definitely hoping they do do it, but I’m definitely worried that Atlético have it within their capabilities to get the job done. Anfield alone won’t be enough.

Yes. For every Barcelona or Dortmund, there's probably three Napolis or other tense affairs. I actually think a 1-0 and go to extra-time is a more likely outcome than us scoring multiple goals and I fear the next most likely outcome is a 2-1, which means we can focus on the league. Klopp's a learner, though and I think he will adjust the team in a way to create more chances.

The really interesting thing about Simeone's set-up was not just the perfectly executed 'low block' as Jose calls it, but the way that despite their compact, narrow banks of 4, they also managed to nullify our full-backs, which have largely been the solution to that problem with other teams this year. Not sure I like this three week break between legs, but at least it will give us a bit of time to clear our heads and work on some additional strategies.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Default Re: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: A Return to the Wanda Metropolitano AND ANFIELD LEG.

Because I'm too lazy to start a new thread, let's use this one. A big game is needed, a big game is expected.

Simone has left us in no doubt during his press conference what to expect. More of the same. Lie deep, defend in numbers, hit on the break/set pieces and hope to score an away goal. This will be a difficult game and Klopp, tactically and the team executionally (what?, It's a word!) will need to be on their A game.

Scoring early is the key, but to be completely safe, I'd like to be heading into the last 10-15 minutes up 3-0. 2-0 will do it, but you just know if that's the case, it's going to be balls out to the wall for both sides in the last 10-15. Atletico are better built to defend a lead than gain one and I do think that if we do go 2 up around the 60-65 minute mark, they're going to find it difficult to transition from a defensive set up to an attacking one. The worse possible scenario would be an early Atletico goal. We might be left hoping that Stevie G will need to take another bow, son, after a free in the last 5 minutes.

Regarding the team, I think Henderson starts. He may not have 90 in him, but more important that he sets the ship sailing properly than comes on in the second half looking to right that ship. The back 5 and front 3 pick themselves, so we're left with finding 2 partners for Henderson:

Fabinho: Obvious choice, except he has looked well off the pace since his return. Would it be such a huge surprise if he were dropped?

Wijnaldum: Great at retaining and regaining possession and has the quick feet which will be vital around their box. Will start.

Keita: Might be the surprise package. He has lockpicking abilities which will be needed.

AOC: Always seems to raise his game on big nights and games.

Milner: A real leader's performance at the weekend, played very well at left back and shows how versatile he is, can slot in anywhere. Gives a defensive bite to the midfield and is capable of a decent cross or two. Won't be a huge surprise to see him start.

Lallana: A combination of all of the above, unlikely to start, probable to feature at some stage.

Atletico don't travel well in either La Liga or the CL and if we play at the level of, say, Leicester away, then there's no doubting the outcome. Quite simply the result here tonight depends on if Liverpool have shaken off their winter break hangover.

Default Re: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: A Return to the Wanda Metropolitano AND ANFIELD LEG.

Worried about this match. Anfield may need to work its magic again...
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Adrian;

Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson;

Henderson, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain;

Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Lonergan, Fabinho, Milner, Minamino, Lallana, Origi, Matip.