Thread: Liverpool v Napoli: Notti Europee

Default Liverpool v Napoli: Notti Europee

Napoli come to Anfield, reprising my first and only 'European Night' at Anfield from last season. It's not the last game of the group, but with a dangerous Salzburg a slip here could be very dangerous to our group prospects.

Napoli are in full disarray, with the owner threatening to sell half the team (and all the good ones). Perhaps we should think of this as a test drive. As an aside, if City aren't in for Koubailly in January, I would be very surprised.

Not sure whether we will risk Salah from the start. Brighton at home on the weekend, so seems like a chance for a spot of rotation, if we wanted.

Dave's Team:

Alisson

TAA Lovren VvD Robertson

Hendo Fabinho Gini

Mane Firmino Origi
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Default Re: Liverpool v Napoli: Notti Europee

I had forgotten about their turmoil and strife; no way can that be helping, therefore I'm expecting them to arrive at Anfield wounded. They're well out of the running for the title in Italy, but in touching distance of CL spots. They may tap into strength in adversity type thing, but I do think they'll find the going tough.

It's vital for us that we win this one, as it will allow us to rotate and rest for a very grueling December fixture list which is pretty much a game every three days plus a split squad for the League Cup and CWC over two days. BD's team will do it, but I do expect to see all 3 subs used and hopefully the game wrapped up long before a Kloppage time winner is needed.

Administrator

Milik and Insigne out for them. That’s good news.

Administrator

How good was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    How good was it?

The easiest way to evaluate it is to look at this list:

Jerzy Dudek
    Pepe Reina
    Simon Mignolet
    Loris Karius

How many of them make that save?
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

In all seriousness?

Reina probably, but not definitely; Dudek also probably, but less so than Reina; Mignolet, possibly; Karius unlikely.

Administrator

Alisson;

Gomez, Van Dijk, Lovren, Robertson;

Henderson, Fabinho, Milner;

Salah, Firmino, Mané.

Subs: Adrián, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi, Alexander-Arnold

We need to wake the f*** up.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

A set back, no doubt as it does not allow us to rest players against Salzburg, so December has all the appearances fixture overload. Had VVD gone off last night, so shortly after Fabinho, it would have been evidence of how quickly a season could be put in jeopardy. If there are two outfield players we cannot afford to lose, it would be those two.

We should get at least a draw at Salzburg (Napoli won 3-2 there) to see us through, though I'd prefer to win and go through as group winners. That's not an unreasonable ask, but the fixture overload, rotation and injuries might yet have their say.

Administrator

Napoli’s tactics last night were better set up to defend a lead that actually gain one. When they scored, I was apprehensive as I knew what was coming.

Ancelotti’s tactics are simple enough actually. Firstly, 3 CBs who largely stay at home all game. Hence why our front 3 struggled all game. Secondly, the wing backs remain reasonably stationary out wide. Their main job is to make sure that even if they don’t win the ball, out FBs are always in front of them and get pushed inside.

Once our attack goes into the center of the park, you now have midfielders and our front 3 dropping back making for a very crowded middle third. The wingbacks now fall back, crowding the box even more and between that crowded box and a congested midfield, slick, one touch passing becomes fraught with interception danger. If you decide to dispense with trying to pick your way through Grand Central at rush hour and try crosses into the box (where Gomez was far from good, tbh), then you have Koubialy and Manolas gobbling up everything that floats in.

It wasn’t rocket science and not every team has the top notch personnel and dedicated concentration to pull it off, but there you go.

Napoli had 1 shot on goal last night. As I say, they were better set to defend a lead than actually get a lead.

But, football, bloody hell!!