Thread: How they say "toast" in Argentina?

Default How they say "toast" in Argentina?

Poch was just fired so it's a good time to review the bidding:

"Top 6" + Leicester

1. Liverpool (34) - Looks like the best team I've ever seen wearing our uniform - Manager: Jurgen (recent winner of the CL)
    2. Leicester (26) - Has no European commitments - playing well - Manager: Brendan (The man who insisted on buying Christian Benteke and playing Bobby Firmino at wing)
    3. Chelsea (26) - In the middle of a transfer ban, playing kids, but doing well - Manager: Frank (Experienced player, Journeyman manager at best)
    4. Man City (25) - Last year flawless - this year the cracks are starting to appear - Manager: Pep (The man who didn't replace Vincent Kompany)
    6. Arsenal (17) - Nice front line you have there, fella. Pity about the defense - Manager: Unai (The man who brought the "Wenger In!" signs back to the Emirates)
    7. Man Utd (16) - A nauseating mish-mash of overpriced talent - Manager: Ole (Another sentimental ex-player hire but backed up by an epically incompetent organization)
    14. Spurs (14) - Getting old for a pressing team and running low on inspiration - Manager: [Your name here]

I don't want to snakebite us but ....
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Default Re: How they say "toast" in Argentina?

I think Glen Hoddle would be an inspired choice.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I think Glen Hoddle would be an inspired choice.
    Unless Victor Frankenstein is available. ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	young_frankenstein_704_6.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	1677
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

Yesterday’s man gets the job. Mourinho’s wrong for a few reasons.
    1. His reputation largely rests on the success he had with Chelsea (#1), Inter and Real. The last silverware he saw was with United, the Europa League in 2017; before that, Real, the Spanish equivalent of the Community Shield. His tenures at Chelsea (#2) and United were failures for supposed top sides.

2. Along with his nemesis, Guardiola, he needs a free, big spending owner. In 2.5 years at United he spent almost £400m (and look at them now). Levy is anything but a free spending owner.

3. Spurs don’t have the reputation or the track record of success that United had, yet, like United they have never been known for dour, defensive bus parking. That style will not sit well with the fans. While initially their opinion might not matter, he will need their support.

4. Most great managers have a lifespan of about 10-15 years. Yes, there are exceptions, but largely, like players, managers get about 10-15 years at the top. Mourinho won the CL with Porto in 2004. His defensive philosophy has been largely overtaken by the Klopps, Guardiolas and even Brendan Rodgers.

5. His act has become very old; “I won the game, I’m the special one; they (the team) lost the game” has happened too often for him to have much credibility and influence left.

Mourinho’s not yet in the same category as Trappatoni, Van Gaal and Heynkes, but despite his age is closer to them in philosophy and shelf life than Klopp, Guardiola or even Pochettino.

Time will tell but at this point I can't imagine a worse owner-manager match than Levy and Mourinho.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Administrator

Hicks/Gillett & Roy Hogdson?

I'm glad that Mourinho replaced Pochettino rather than Ole or Frank (not possible due to smoldering bridges). He may well improve Spurs this year, new face/open competition for places, but I can't see Eriksen/Alderweireld/Vertonghen suddenly deciding "Wait! You know that whole being a free agent - making more money - choosing my own destiny thing? I've reconsidered. I want to re-up for less money to play for Jose until he flames out and then for the unknown replacement."

I live in a LiverpoolFC-centric universe and this won't make a difference to this year's top two (fingers crossed).

In my dreams we finish first.

followed by these three - Sheffield United, Wolves, Leicester

followed by these five - Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, ManU

Mike Ashley / Rafa Benitez (as in mismatch - not as in both are crap)

Administrator

An extraordinarily logical, reasoned and reasonable position. Much like my own.

Administrator

FWIW, I heard a rumor or two earlier in the season, but paid it little heed, so I can’t remember the full details and dramatis personae, but the gist was that the Spurs locker room was in complete turmoil. Vertonghen was definitely involved, but I can’t remember if he was a saint or sinner.

Basically one player was shagging another player’s wife. Battle lines were drawn, team mates took sides, mayhem and uproar ensued. At the same time, there was/are supposedly a rump of players who find Kane to be a pain and are opposed to him in small ways and large. Eriksen has made himself very unpopular with his stance that he is definitely going, when he gets his dream transfer. Which shows no sign of happening. So he has teammates who won’t speak to him.

And while all this was going down - supposedly - there was the fate of Pochettino to be decided. Depending on which newspaper you read, he was on his way to Munich, Real or United.

As I say, I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to the details, but if any/all/most of this is true, something had to give I suppose.