Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liverpool v City: Surely City Slip on Sky Super Sunday against the Scousers!

Default Re: Liverpool v City: Surely City Slip on Sky Super Sunday against the Scousers!

I think it was a handball (the first incident, anyway) and City have every right to be aggrieved and I, for one, am crying laughing into my extra-large cup of hot smug...

City were all over us at the outset and I was a bit worried they were going to roll right over us, the press they used so effective, but a bit of luck and some breathtaking counter-attacking from our side and we took control of that game.

I thought the whole team played really well and what I loved was that little nasty streak, we seem to have cultivated post-Real Madrid. It was particularly focused on Sterling, which was necessary, as he looked by far the most dangerous for City. A little shove, elbow in the back, push out of play, etc. We really took them off their game and it started to show more, as the game went on.

Fabulous to be 8 points clear of Leicester & Chelsea at this stage of the season. A long way to go, but so far we've passed all the tests with flying colours.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Default Re: Liverpool v City: Surely City Slip on Sky Super Sunday against the Scousers!

Reflecting on the game, for me, handball or no, penalty or no, the one thing that was evident in spades was how much better LFC was than City and ultimately how easy the win was. Yes, we can pay City the platitudes and admit they looked very good in the opening minutes, that they had the greater share of possession, that they made a go of it in the last 10-15 minutes, but…

But this was a game LFC never looked like losing and with the exception of the first and last 10 minutes, they were always in control. Yes, City nicked a goal late on, but what struck me was how toothless City were overall. Sterling, Silva, Aguero and Jesus all linked well and sometimes looked dangerous, but too often the end product was negligible. A shot straight at Alisson, a corner (which was then cleared), a loss of possession.

No doubting their defense was substandard, certainly for title contenders, but was that the best they had?

There was nothing new from City, they were exactly as we expected. Last season Guardiola came to Anfield he played 5 at the back, looking to contain and hoping to hit on the break. Perhaps not the most innovative strategy, but it did make life difficult for Liverpool.

This time out, he came with a dodgy defense and hoped his midfield and forward line would carry the day, but nothing special, no creative strategies or positioning, except target TAA. Which is what he did with Sané in the CL two seasons ago. And then howling about handballs. As I say, nothing new.

I suppose it could be argued that Klopp set LFC up with nothing new, but that’s not quite true. Henderson played further forward and VVD and Lovern were not as adventurous as Matip has been, staying at home more. Mané also dropped deeper.

At the end of the day, City were bang average - a good side, no doubt - but Sheffield United gave us a tougher game, Leicester also, even Norwich maybe. They’ll improve when Laporte returns or when/if they buy in the January window, but that’ll be too late.

We’ve seen behind City’s curtain; it’s not very impressive. They may not even finish second. Or third

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I think it was a handball (the first incident, anyway) and City have every right to be aggrieved and I, for one, am crying laughing into my extra-large cup of hot smug...

City were all over us at the outset and I was a bit worried they were going to roll right over us, the press they used so effective, but a bit of luck and some breathtaking counter-attacking from our side and we took control of that game.

I thought the whole team played really well and what I loved was that little nasty streak, we seem to have cultivated post-Real Madrid. It was particularly focused on Sterling, which was necessary, as he looked by far the most dangerous for City. A little shove, elbow in the back, push out of play, etc. We really took them off their game and it started to show more, as the game went on.

Fabulous to be 8 points clear of Leicester & Chelsea at this stage of the season. A long way to go, but so far we've passed all the tests with flying colours.
    I thought so too, in real time. I changed my mind when I saw on the replay that Bernard Silva had (inadvertently) handballed it first. To me that made it a forehand return of a dinked backhand ;-)

I thought Michael Oliver handled it correctly by letting play continue. My favorite alternative if people insist that our goal should have been disallowed would have been to give city a penalty. Let them score it. Then disallow the goal for Silva's hand ball in the buildup ;-)
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

Cut under Gomez' right eye after his WWE bout with Sterling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	998.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	1676

Really absorbing game to watch, as BD says City started very strong and we were fortunate the handball / non-handball and Fabinho bomb broke their stride a bit. After that, we were just more clinical so a deserved outcome for sure. Great to go into the international break on a high. Now, no injuries please and let's roll on after the break. And I thought it was a stone cold hand ball by TAA until it was revealed Silva handled it first; correct call.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly