Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v City: Surely City Slip on Sky Super Sunday against the Scousers!

Default Liverpool v City: Surely City Slip on Sky Super Sunday against the Scousers!

Well, well, well... City visit Anfield for Sunday afternoon's contribution to SUPER SUNDAY. Given the injury and form table, I think Klopp needs to make a few choices here. Lovren vs. Gomez? Find a spot for Ox?

In addition to a makeshift backline, City will also have to contend without Silva.

We've not been playing particularly well, so I am hoping we are able to up our game to our full potential. City haven't really played anyone difficult yet.

Tough one to call, but I like the thought of being 9 points ahead on Sunday evening, so let's go with a 3-2 scorcher.

Dave's team:

Alisson

TAA Gomez VvD Robertson

Hendo Fabinho AOC

Salah Firmino Mane
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Default Re: Liverpool v City: Surely City Slip on Sky Super Sunday against the Scousers!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Well, well, well... City visit Anfield for Sunday afternoon's contribution to SUPER SUNDAY. Given the injury and form table, I think Klopp needs to make a few choices here. Lovren vs. Gomez? Find a spot for Ox?

In addition to a makeshift backline, City will also have to contend without Silva.

We've not been playing particularly well, so I am hoping we are able to up our game to our full potential. City haven't really played anyone difficult yet.

Tough one to call, but I like the thought of being 9 points ahead on Sunday evening, so let's go with a 3-2 scorcher.

Dave's team:

Alisson

TAA Gomez VvD Robertson

Hendo Fabinho AOC

Salah Firmino Mane
    ... or, in shorthand, The Usual Suspects + JoeHendOC

I will go for TUS + DejHendWij
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

Default Re: Liverpool v City: Surely City Slip on Sky Super Sunday against the Scousers!

I think Lovern gets the start and I don’t think AOC will get the nod over Gini. Pitchside after Genk last night, he said he was not at 100%; plus Gini is playing well these days. I could see AOC coming on - matter of fact would be pretty sure he’ll see some minutes.

The only question for me, as I’ve seen nada about it, is Henderson’s illness that kept him out of contention last night. I assume it’s temporary; if not, then Milner.

Administrator

Ederson injured, taken off at half time. No idea about his Sunday availability. Bravo, the replacement, got a red so Walker has to go in goal for the last 10 minutes or so. Here’s hoping for an Anfield repeat.

Administrator

Sean Cox returns to Anfield on Sunday for the first time since he was brutally attacked and left with life-changing injuries.

Sean comes from a small town outside Dublin called Dunboyne which has a population of 7,000. A group of musicians, all from Dunboyne, have just released a single, their version of YNWA looking to raise money for Sean’s rehab.

What’s remarkable is the footage in this official video showing the huge numbers of people taking part in fundraising runs and walks done in Dunboyne.

I think we all know what sort of reception he’s going to get at Anfield!

Administrator

Guardiola says no go on Ederson.

Administrator

Alisson,

Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, van Dijk, Robertson;

Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum;

Salah, Firmino, Mane.

Subs: Milner, Keita, Gomez, Adrian, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Origi.

Administrator

The last 10 minutes may have been butterflies in the stomach, but that was comprehensive. The biggest surprise was how ordinary they made City look.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    The last 10 minutes may have been butterflies in the stomach, but that was comprehensive. The biggest surprise was how ordinary they made City look.
    Manchester City 2018/19 Center backs: Laporte, Stones, Kompany, Otamendi, Mangala, Walker

Manchester City 2019/20 Center backs: -Laporte- , Stones, Otamendi, Walker, Garcia

Kompany was probably their 3rd or 4th choice CB - Mangala even lower. Yet losing them without replacement (except Garcia) left them in a big hole. Ordinarily they'd just go out and spend the gross national product of Estonia on an accomplished 27-year-old CB but with the shadow of FFP hanging over next season it was time to fake "being responsible". Just their luck that the injuries hit their biggest drop-off positions, CB & GK.

It seems so unfair ;-)
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

Lots of discussion about TAA’s handball that never was which led to Fabinho’s goal. The ball pinged off Silva’s hand onto TAA’s. Silva’s was never a handball - much the same as TAA’s from Sterling in the second half.

Had the cross directly hit TAA first rather than careening off Silva, then I think it would have been called. But, and, this I believe is crucial, there is a ruling/stipulation/understanding that when the ball pinballs around in the area, referees do not call handballs as quickly or obviously as they would on a straight shot.

I’m not certain, however, that TAA’s arm didn’t move towards the ball which brings intent into the equation. Now, he could argue, as Souness did on Sky after the game, that having your arms out from the body when you’re running or stopping running (for balance), is the natural position of the arms. If we accept this argument, along with the pinball-in-the-box “rule”, then I think TAA skates, but only just. Skates by a vote of 52-48.

Would we feel aggrieved had it been, say, Sterling in the City box? Very probably, though would LFC have switched off in the manner City did? Perhaps. I do seem to remember something like that happening to us in recent seasons, but can’t recall the exact details or opponent.

A direct hit and a penalty is almost certainly called, so the pinball rule is probably the reason it wasn’t. And I could see TAA being called for it next month. It wasn’t a tVAResty, but a subjective decision by the ref. Always going to be controversial.