Thread: Why, it's the CL Final...nope, just Spurs at home.

Administrator

Default Why, it's the CL Final...nope, just Spurs at home.

What a difference 5 months makes. While it might be tempting fate and the wrath of the web to claim LFC and Spurs were the two best sides in Europe in June, that's what the CL said. Liverpool have gone on, improved, whereas Spurs are celebrating a late equalizer at home to Watford.

Speaking of tempting fate, pretty much all LFC fans were certain the only variable in last Sunday's game against United was the margin of victory, given how awful United were. Are we to equally tempt fate by repeating the scenario with Spurs? Their results are a little better than United's, but they have fallen more precipitously (a $10 word that) than United, certainly since June anyway.

As ever, as usual, the midfield is our lottery. AOC and Lallana have gotten their names on the scoresheets and AOC had a very good 80(?) minutes or so against Genk. Henderson wasn't even in the gameday Genk squad, so you'd have to figure he'll start here. As will Fabinho. So does that make #3 Keita who had a very good outing in Belgium?

I see Pochettino got the dreaded vote of confidence (albeit from the players); there's little Spurs have done this season at either end of the pitch that give us any cause for concern. Now, you ally that to their usual poor Anfield record and I think we should see another LFC win. The only variable is the margin of victory, right?

Administrator

Default Re: Why, it's the CL Final...nope, just Spurs at home.

Alisson;

Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, van Dijk, Robertson;

Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum;

Salah, Firmino, Mane.

Substitutes: Adrian, Milner, Keita, Gomez, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Origi.

Half-time musings: Gini and Hendo not at the races and for Godís sake, let someone else other than Trent take a set-piece...

Also, why did the ref book the black guy for preventing a quick free-kick on the first go, but let the Korean guy get away with two worse ones... #KickItOut
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Dele Alli was on the team sheet today; like Eriksen, he wasn’t on the pitch.

Administrator

I had one fear in this game after their very early opener. If they arsed their way with super saves, toe poked corners and deflected shots, they would fall over the line with an undeserved 1-0 victory.

Once we scored, it was only a question of would we get 1, 2 or 3 more. Klopp’s mentality monsters and the belief he has instilled in the fans meant that for the vast majority today, once an equalizer, the win was never in doubt.

It's funny. I always used to have that fear, but it's getting less and less. Like you say, the mentality monsters never give up and we have enough quality to get the result.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

How was Anfield?

Lovely crisp autumn evening. Good atmosphere, which dropped off a bit, before picking up around the 30-minute mark, when we started to create some chances. Grumpy comments about Lovren & Hendo were on the table for the first half, as was griping out 'making it past the first man' on corners (which, in fairness, was probably mostly me).

Traffic back to the train station was mental and I walked about 2 miles back, before grabbing a cab for the last mile to make my train.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Another three points, strong comeback after an early wobble. Sounds like it was a nice evening out for BD overall. Roll on.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly