Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Winter & Summer Transfer Windows

Administrator

Default Re: 2020 Winter & Summer Transfer Windows

Jeez! Kids today. Is nothing sacred?

On a more prosaic note, there’s a report making the rounds that Wijnaldum, who has 18 months left on his contract, doesn’t want to re-up. If true, the options are that we sell him now in January (or less in the summer), we get him to sign a new contract or we let him go for nada this time next year.

I must confess, this is an odd one and I’m wondering if it’s all not a negotiating position? But if the underlying is true, that he wants to leave, it certainly seems to have come out of the blue and is a huge surprise.

I read that he came out after the fact and said he's really happy at Liverpool and there was no issue in response to those rumours.

He's on pretty low wages, relatively, so he's in a good position to negotiate for more, given how important he is to Klopp's set-up. I expect it will happen in the summer without too much fuss.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Did Mane ever re-up? I saw the wage list and he's more in the middle of the pack, with Salah, Bobby & Virgil at the top. I'd be more worried about him leaving than Gini.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Did Mane ever re-up? I saw the wage list and he's more in the middle of the pack, with Salah, Bobby & Virgil at the top. I'd be more worried about him leaving than Gini.
    Per Transfermarkt his deal expires in June of 2023.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/sadio-...spieler/200512

Since we got him in 2016, I assume there's a re-up in there somewhere.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Interesting comment from Andy Gray on BeIn, about Grealish being better than any of our midfield. Usual comments from the rage gallery that he's bonkers, etc. That said, I almost find myself agreeing with him on this one. Fabinho is the best defensive midfielder on the planet right now, but Gini & Hendo? I actually think Grealish might be, on a standalone basis, a better player than either of them. I see many shades of Stevie in him, who I think most of us would agree is probably a better all-around midfielder than what we have in the team currently.

The real question to me it seems, is whether he would improve our team. Klopp seems to certainly have a type of midfielder he prefers and the midfield is much less important to building our attack, than in other teams, as it generally comes from our full-backs. Our midfield is designed to disrupt and win the ball, then move it quickly forward on the counterpress. They are not there, primarily, to build the attack.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Shaqiri. The word is that Klopp has a definite role in mind for him and hence why loan moves to Roma and Seville(?) were shut down. But his persistent injuries at just the wrong times have left the club thinking that offers of £30m and above will be accepted in the summer.

The idea then is to sign a younger replacement. The feeling is that he’s too good to merely play odd games here and there and allied to his injury problems and his age, a transfer just might be the way to go.

Definitely. His injuries have definitely prevented him from getting a run going and from being a more regular squad player. I know Harvey's only sixteen, but if a good offer came in for Shaq, we'd already have cover there in Minamino and Elliott (not to mention Mane or Origi), so I don't think Shaq needs to be replaced, per se. That said, if a good option came along that fit the bill, I'm sure we'd jump on it.

Shame, as I quite like the little angry elf.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Rather an interesting read (but I can’t remember where! ) on Coutinho. He’s struggling at Bayern and is on his way back to Barca at the end of the season, as Bayern will owe £100m if they hold on to him. Most observers, including Didi Hamman, have him not worth even half that.

Barca have offered him to us for ~£90m which I suspect is probably the balance owed by them. We’ve said no.

What made the read interesting was revisiting what Klopp apparently told him prior to his move. Klopp said that at Liverpool he’d be the focus and an integral part of the attack whereas he’d be just another player at Barca, Bayern, Real, PSG. Apparently Klopp went through 5-6-7 of Europe’s top clubs (i.e. those who could afford him) and showed where he’d fit in in all of them (some knowledge base, huh?). He told him that in each club he would not be as prominent as he was with Liverpool. He further told him that he didn’t think he would thrive in any situation where he wasn’t the focus of the team/attack. Certainly not as he was at Liverpool.

He’s been just another player at both Bayern and Barca and has been a signal failure at both. Forgetting his LFC->Barca price tag, what is his worth these days on the open market? £40m+/-?

50mm or so. The gloss has definitely come off.

Interesting to think about whether Mane or Salah would struggle the same way Coutinho has or whether they would be more successful at a Barca or Madrid. I think Mane would do well in any team, but Salah might find similar issues, most definitely at Barcelona, where he'd be occupying the same space as Messi. I don't really see any other of the players as the kind of galactico those teams would target. I also don't see Juve, Bayern or PSG as particularly more appealing than Liverpool right now, but those Spanish clubs will always be the biggest clubs in the world and able to tempt our best & brightest.

No signs that either is agitating to leave, but I do think the thought of a Madrid or Barcelona would tempt either of them.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    50mm or so. The gloss has definitely come off.

Interesting to think about whether Mane or Salah would struggle the same way Coutinho has or whether they would be more successful at a Barca or Madrid. I think Mane would do well in any team, but Salah might find similar issues, most definitely at Barcelona, where he'd be occupying the same space as Messi. I don't really see any other of the players as the kind of galactico those teams would target. I also don't see Juve, Bayern or PSG as particularly more appealing than Liverpool right now, but those Spanish clubs will always be the biggest clubs in the world and able to tempt our best & brightest.

No signs that either is agitating to leave, but I do think the thought of a Madrid or Barcelona would tempt either of them.
    Coutinho - The discount is based upon his history of psychosomatic back trouble when offered large amounts of money.

Mané/Salah -Unlikely. It would be a surprise because so few Klopp players grew up dreaming of playing for (pause while I look it up) the *legendary* Quique Setién, because we now pay competitive salaries, and because we are currently the form team in the world. So the whole "Come to famous (you just beat them) Barcelona / famous (trade in playing with Virgil van Dijk for playing with Sergio Ramos) Real Madrid for three times as much money" seems less likely or appealing. Especially now that you need to pay taxes in Spain.

But it still could happen. And if it does, we will:

1) Extract maximum value from the sale (Michael Edwards)
    2) Become more attractive to the three 24 year-old replacements we've been watching for the last five years because now there is daylight in the first team
    3) Buy them for a relative pittance (because our player evaluation team and process is the best in the world, Michael Edwards)
    4) Improve them into world-class players (Jurgen Klopp, Pep Lijnders, Peter Krawietz, Andreas Kornmeyer, Mona Nemmer, and everyone else we employ)
    5) Provide them with a great place to work with wonderful teammates toward a shared goal of excellence.
    6) Slightly thin out the age bulge in our squad which is loaded up with elite players in their prime for the next two years.

We'll be fine.
    Last edited by RobR; January 27th, 2020 at 11:25 AM.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’