Thread: Liverpool v Norwich: The seasons starts on Friday

Default Liverpool v Norwich: The seasons starts on Friday

Much to the annoyance of Klopp, our league season starts on Friday, 8PM as we host the Canaries, who have been out of the top tier for a fair few years.

I expect to see the same formation as with the Community Shield, with the exception that Matip might slot alongside Virgil. It will be interesting to see how much Gomez plays at CB vs. RB this season.

Without doing any homework at all, I'd think we should have enough for a newly promoted side at Anfield. We shook of the rust in the second half against City and most importantly, Salah looks sharp. Mane just back training this week, so not sure Klopp will play him from the get-go, but he'd be a nice option from the bench.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Default Re: Liverpool v Norwich: The seasons starts on Friday

Excited about the new season! Have been getting very very bored recently. Let's welcome the Canaries back to the Prem in style, perhaps Mo can do his best Suarez imitation against them.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Administrator

Allison;

Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson;

Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum;

Salah, Firmino, Origi

Subs: Adrian, Milner, Matip, Keita, Mané, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaqiri

Administrator

Liverpool 4-1 Norwich. Officially, then, Norwich are better than Barcelona.

The Canaries do look good going forward, but we cut them open pretty much at will. Would have liked to see a few more goals from us but that's being too picky. Adrian will provide decent cover but not happy at all with Alisson's injury.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Administrator

I thought Henderson had a very influential game and Fabinho was so quite as to be unnoticed, but very effective. Unseen. Salah took a little while to get going last season, but allied to his Community Shield performance he seems to be firing on nearly all cylinders.

I forgot to tape the game, so I had to make do with the MoTD highlights. Couldn't tell if we were as defensively bad as Tweedle-dee & Tweedle-dum of Sky Sports-land made us out to be, but I suspect that's just a little rust. Losing Alison is no bueno, but hopefully Adrian is a bit of an upgrade on Migs.

Origi is surprising me a bit. I know he's a 'cult hero' or whatever, but I still had some questions about his ability to step in for a missing player or come on as an impact sub long-term. He looked very sharp, though, so maybe I need to readjust my thinking a bit on him.

It will be good to have Mane back, though.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I forgot to tape the game, so I had to make do with the MoTD highlights. Couldn't tell if we were as defensively bad as Tweedle-dee & Tweedle-dum of Sky Sports-land made us out to be, but I suspect that's just a little rust. Losing Alison is no bueno, but hopefully Adrian is a bit of an upgrade on Migs.

Origi is surprising me a bit. I know he's a 'cult hero' or whatever, but I still had some questions about his ability to step in for a missing player or come on as an impact sub long-term. He looked very sharp, though, so maybe I need to readjust my thinking a bit on him.

It will be good to have Mane back, though.
    Given that each player has a unique set of skills, who do you see backing up the front line while causing the fewest ripples in how the rest of the team plays?

It used to be wrenching to watch us play Studge or Solanke because I kept seeing a thought balloon pop up over other players' heads, "Oh, it's the sloooow guy - don't lead him as much."

I appreciate Origi's skills and understand that all of the top 3 have things in their game that others don't and can't. There just isn't another Bobby, or Mo, or Sadio out there.

We passed on Andy Carroll and (would have passed on) Peter Crouch for a reason. ;-)
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Anfield Sub

All 4 of our goals were gifts from Norwich.
    First one was an own goal.
    Origi's and VVD's goals were from "free" header. We won't score like than playing better team.
    Salah's goal was a good one, but Norwich should have cleared the ball at least two times before the ball got to Salah.

The goal that Norwich scored? They beat our offside trap with a perfectly timed run.

Certainly not good enough. All of a sudden, we dropped to 3rd from the top of the league.

BUT you know what the most important thing is? (Other than the 3 points).
    In the past, playing against a newly promoted side, I always feared that the opponent would score a late equalizer or winner.
    Didn't have that feeling for a second on Friday.
    The team was playing with lot of confidence.
    That's the most important thing. Sooner or later, the opponent would make a mistake or 4.
    Tony