Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Champions League Final 2019

1st Team Regular

Default Re: Champions League Final 2019

yeah that was joyful, now i feeel like this is the best incentive to go on a massive run to win trophies the decade. im all in folks
    lets do this every year
    Klopp: We have to deliver results, we have to deliver success, we have to deliver emotions, we have to deliver memories

Whew, finally posting as I followed my discipline of never posting before/during a huge match. Also didn't watch live, went to work, pledged family and friends to silence and checked the final score at the end. My daughter informed me at the start of the match that my new granddaughter (4 months) had declared herself a Liverpool supporter (to the consternation of her Spurs supporting father) and was cheering the boys on.

What a great achievement. Remembering the crazy post-match posts by Uncle Spike and others here 14 years ago. Every supporter, please fully appreciate (as I'm sure most do) how special it is to have your club win this competition six times. Really, really amazing. Have watched the first half, will watch the second half tonight and can only repeat what others have said about Klopp, Alisson, VvD, Henderson, Salah, Origi, etc.

But what a strange three weeks. The nature and the magnitude of the latest Anfield Miracle over Messi, Suarez, Coutinho and Barca made it impossible for me to avoid the sense that we had already played our final and the last game against either Spurs or Ajax was going to be a banana skin or a formality. Disconcerting, these games coming after historic performances that we're "supposed" to win. That the game didn't begin to live up to the quality and drama of the semi was hardly a surprise especially given the very early first goal.

Six times. Sing the song.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Through the luck of the general lottery ballot and some agile travel planning, I've been able to tick the bucket list 'Watch Liverpool win a European Cup' item off my list. Atmosphere in Madrid was fantastic, as you might expect, though i think i saw more 'half-and-half' shirts then Spurs shirts outside the stadium. Overall it was a very pleasant and non-aggressive atmosphere in the city.

The game wasn't a classic and I don't have a recollection of too much outside the penalty, Divock's goal and the 10-minute spate of fairly tame efforts in the second half from Spurs. We looked more dangerous in the final third, our defense was super solid and generally felt like we were never going to lose that game. I stayed after quite a bit to wallow in the glory, including giving a lift up to a Scouser, who wanted to bang on the BT Sport window and disrupt Rio's train of thought.

Made up for the team and everyone associated with the club. Can't wait to hear the 'Let's talk about six, baby' chant next season!
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Anfield Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I stayed after quite a bit to wallow in the glory, including giving a lift up to a Scouser, who wanted to bang on the BT Sport window and disrupt Rio's train of thought.
    Was that you making that banging noise? (6:45 into the video)
    (And pay no attention to what those guys said about whether it was a penalty or not. It was a penalty.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-fM-ogg060
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by olt View Post
    (And pay no attention to what those guys said about whether it was a penalty or not. It was a penalty.)

If you hold your arm out at that angle with your palm facing the crosser and your fingers outspread - it's a penalty.

If you hold your arm out at that angle with your finger pointing to section 312 Row Z - it's inadvertent and desperately harsh because as Sergio Ramos always says "Football players never cheat."
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Quote Originally Posted by olt View Post

Nope, but I was providing the lift up to the Scouser that was! My claim to fame!
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Anfield Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Nope, but I was providing the lift up to the Scouser that was! My claim to fame!
    Tony

Anfield Sub

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    If you hold your arm out at that angle with your palm facing the crosser and your fingers outspread - it's a penalty.

If you hold your arm out at that angle with your finger pointing to section 312 Row Z - it's inadvertent and desperately harsh because as Sergio Ramos always says "Football players never cheat."
    Can't wait to see next season when all the defenders will be doing a chicken dance while defending in their own penalty box so as to block the ball legally.
    Tony

Administrator

Perhaps the hard work for Liverpool’s 6th title was done in the second leg of the semi final against Barcelona. In much the same way with Spurs’ second leg against Ajax. The 3 week wait suited neither team, but what shone through like a klieg light was the depth and superiority of Liverpool.

In many ways the early (very early) goal for Liverpool pretty much ruined this game as a spectacle for those who were hoping for another second leg semifinal. Klopp’s Liverpool side are very adept now at playing the game in whatever style befits the scoreline. 3-0 down against Barcelona? Strap in, it’s going to be a bumpy ride with all the thrills and spills of a rollercoaster at 3rd base camp on Everest. 1-0 against Spurs after 2 minutes in a must win 90 minute final? Get out your cocaine and coffee, you’re going to have trouble staying awake for this one.

I hadn’t appreciated the depth and variety of Liverpool’s game until I rewatched this final. It’s not that they weren’t interested in scoring again after Salah’s penalty; they were more interested in holding Spurs off and attacking only when all the stars were precisely and exactly aligned. They were not about to leave the back exposed, looking for a second goal that might not come. They trusted themselves to manage the game 1 goal up from 2 minutes in. As anyone with even a passing interest in the game knows, defending a 1 goal lead (or even a 2 goal lead) can often be a foolhardy pursuit as all it takes is one odd bounce, one missed offside, one dive in the area and the jig is up. But what was impressive (for the purist) was the way Liverpool went about their task of defending that lead.

Firstly, it neutralized our most obvious and potent weapon - the fullbacks. Spurs did try to get in behind TAA on a few occasions and went so far as to line up like a rugby team at the start of the second half, with 3-4 players over on TAA’s side waiting to rush forward. They did succeed now and again of getting behind TAA, but that threat was blunted by the excellent play of VVD and Matip. Sometimes even Henderson and often Fabinho. But the other truth of the game becomes more apparent here. Spurs did not have the weapons to attack cleverly or in force. Too many of their players went missing on the big day. Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen all seemed to be overcome by the occasion. And I suppose it’s here I should address H. Kane.

Did he big dog his way into the team? Did he make it such that Pochettino’s hands were tied? Regardless, his impact on the game was negligible and it was a very easy day at the office for VVD, Matip and Fabinho. Compare him to another unfit forward, Firmino. He contributed very little in the first half and Klopp pulled him early in the second. As Pochettino should have done with Kane. What makes things more headscratching is that Winks, a player who was actually contributing in midfield, injury notwithstanding, was taken off. Wrong Harry, Poch.

Last year, I bemoaned that, the Salah incident aside, Milner chose the worst possible time to have his worst game of the season. In the same way this year, I would think Spurs cognoscenti were unhappy that Alli, Eriksen and especially Son “chose” the worst possible time to fluff their lines and get the basics wrong. Of course there was the not so insignificant matter of Fabinho who I swear gets better and better with each game.

Sitting in front of the back 4, he was imperious all night. It’s a football truism that to win a title you must have a strong spine - keeper, center half, forward with a decent midfield. In Fabinho, Liverpool have a player who, in a year or two, could very well be the best defensive midfielder in the world. He kept Son and Alli quiet most of the night and his distribution is well above par, as is Matip’s, by the way. But with Fabinho sitting in front of VVD and Matip, you almost felt sorry for a Spurs attack trying to break that down. Which is all the more reason Pochettino needed to be more harsh and definitive with Kane. On a good day, fully fit, Fabinho, VVD and Matip was a large ask. Huffing and trying to squeeze oxygen from a humid night, Kane was a spent force for pretty much most of the second half and large periods of the first.

When Spurs did get clogged up down the center, they switched it to the wings. But once again, they were thwarted by 2 fullbacks in their prime, having the seasons of their lives. Yes, TAA is not as defensively sound as Robertson, but he’s far from an easy mark. And as neither were as adventurous as they were against Barcelona, Spurs’ problem was that they kept running into blind alleys. Was it until the 70th something minute before they had a shot on goal?

Not all were swimmingly well in the Liverpool camp however. Firmino was patently not match fit and probably should have seen the bench at halftime. I suspect Klopp told him (or said to his coaches, he gets 10-15 minutes). Origi was the replacement. And well, we kinda know what happened there. He does take up different positions to Firmino, so it’s unlikely Firmino would have been ready to receive Matip’s pass. Equally, Bobby might have pulled some magic from his hat had he stayed on, but it wasn’t looking likely. Wijnaldum was a bit of a mystery as to why he was so ineffective. Some kudos must be given to Spurs here as they did keep him defensive rather than attacking, but even still, all players can have an off night. I would have thought it was 51/49 between him and Milner to start and when Milner did come on, he fitted in very well with the tight, controlled game Liverpool were playing. Messi called him “burro” during the semi which is Spanish argot for a not talented player, an enforcer who kicks. Milner is a lot more than that, but at the same time, he was happy to let Kane and Moura know he was around. And again, this shows what a difference a year makes. Bringing on James Milner to shore up your midfield, to calm things down, to be the wise old head? Not an option in last year’s final.

Mané had a better game than Salah in that he annoyed Spurs more and was more dangerous. Too often Salah disappeared down blind alleys, and his hold up play wasn’t great. But when you have Mané and Salah (and later Origi) as the recipients of your out balls, you’ll always keep Spurs honest. And that’s why, largely, we never or rarely saw a Liverpool break away or 3-2 counter. Spurs were just too afraid to commit forward lest they lose the second goal. And even Spurs knew that whatever chance they had in clawing back an equalizer, they were never scoring 2 on the night.

So Liverpool sat back and said to Spurs, “we’re 1 up, you have to score to stay alive, whatcha got?” Not an awful lot as it turned out. And that’s what makes this Liverpool side so good and so dangerous. They can play balls out to the wall to beat Barcelona 4-0 at home, or dour, dank, grind ‘em out 1-0 wins that few will remember except they are finals. Most definitely, not an advert for football, except to the insider, but whose name is on the trophy? For those who can remember that far back, our second European Cup, 1-0 over Bruges in Wembley was not a classic. Still counts, mind you.

In closing, Alisson, Henderson and Klopp. I believe VVD got the MOTM which was not a bad shout. Giving it to Alisson would have been equally as fine. He had a very good game and didn’t put a foot wrong all night. He exuded confidence which radiated forward. When called upon he was there with the saves and his concentration never wavered. A superb keeper’s performance.

O Captain, my Captain. The old journalism aphorism kinda applies here. When a player is committed but perhaps not the most talented, they'll often be described as, “covering every blade of grass”. What they lack in inspiration they make up for with perspiration. Yes, Henderson with the perspiration, but his reading of the game in Madrid was superb. He was the metronome, joining the attack as the extra forward, racing back as the extra defender. Slowing things down. He played better, I thought when Milner came on, but overall was the epitome of the Captain all night.

And finally, Juergen. He and his backroom team got it right. They had a game plan, they stifled Spurs and at all times he seemed in control. Yes, the passing was not what it should have been and I’m sure he’d have preferred to see Liverpool attack more, but he got the game plan right and counteracted Spurs at every move. Well researched, well rehearsed, a team playing several different types of football. There’s a lot more to come there.

A team effort that was all about winning; more about stifling Spurs than scoring 3 or 4, this was not a game for those who wanted to be Barca or Bayern entertained. This was cold Tuesday night in Stoke football which is rarely attractive though nearly always effective. 2-0 over a decent but not outstanding Spurs side for #6? I’ll take that all season long.

1st Team Regular

Just brilliant.