Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Summer Transfer Window

Default Re: 2019 Summer Transfer Window

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Saw that we've been linked with Pepe Reina as backup, if (when) Migs leaves. I really like that idea, if he's OK to act as backup & start the odd (domestic) Cup game. He's known to be great in the dressing room, has gobs of experience and has a genuine affection/connection to the club.
    Pepe would be great. In the we-need-a-creative-midfielder department, what would you think of Mesut Özil? Ignore the salary for now, just look at him as a formerly skilled player in need of redemption. And a manager who "speaks his language". Would he be good enough to help us? Or is he too much of a "floater"?
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

1st Team Regular

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Pepe would be great. In the we-need-a-creative-midfielder department, what would you think of Mesut Özil? Ignore the salary for now, just look at him as a formerly skilled player in need of redemption. And a manager who "speaks his language". Would he be good enough to help us? Or is he too much of a "floater"?
    i remeber the name and the face but Ozil's play I don't, so my kneejerk reaction is to say no to him. there a plenty of players in the EPL i remeber becuase of how well they played against us, kompany for instance. on the other hand, I would like to see pepe reina play in midfield, #justkidding
    Klopp: We have to deliver results, we have to deliver success, we have to deliver emotions, we have to deliver memories

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Very interesting idea. I suppose what it comes down to is how damaged are his goods and is he beyond redemption even for a manager of Klopp’s capabilities?

He still puts in the occasional excellence in odd games and at international level before he quit, but I can’t help feeling the demons run deep in this boy and his devils are always going to shout down his greater angels, playing-wise.

People who make more money than me and know more about football than me would make that decision, but I’d say no.

So the Spanish press is out there with 'Salah to Madrid' rumours, also linking him with Bayern (unlikely) & United (Ha!). The only one with any modicum of potential is the Madrid link, but I don't see it happening. If it does, suggest we just plonk it down on Mbappe.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Studge penned a very nice departure note. Classy player.

In other news, Adam Bogdan is finally off the books.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

A lot of talk about De Ligt, but apparently Klopp feels that it would take a huge amount of money to secure him (it would) and that that money would be better spent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    A lot of talk about De Ligt, but apparently Klopp feels that it would take a huge amount of money to secure him (it would) and that that money would be better spent elsewhere.
    I agree.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I agree.
    Moi aussi. I was trying to think of who we'd buy based on the assumption that Mignolet goes along with Sturridge and Moreno. All I could think of was a backup GK - someone with the same profile as Karius when we bought him (assuming that Reina isn't interested in a job as a stopgap until one of the kids grows into it). I think we have enough cover at the other two: Firmino:Mané:Salah:Origi:Brewster at CF with Origi:Shaqiri:Chamberlain:Keita:Lallana dropping in to fill the missing winger slot (if any) and Robertson:Milner:Gomez at LB.

We're 1 deep at GK, 2 or 3 deep at FB, 5 or 6 deep at CD, 8 deep at MF (without Grujic), at least 3 deep up front although the quality drop-off might be precipitous there.

If there's a target of opportunity or a good, underrated kid we will snaffle him up but I don't see any big needs to fill. Anyone who'd improve the starting XI would cost a fortune and only be an incremental advance on what we already have.

Our age profile says young player ready in 3 years at CD, old player or young player at backup GK. If Shamal George is ready then we've got it all covered with a Goalkeeper/Striker. ;-)
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

What we need:
    - Backup GK
    - Backup LB

That's really all we need.

That said, a really top No. 10 or forward, who can play across the front three wouldn't be a bad shout (Fernandes or Pepe seem to be linked, but I don't really know them all that well).
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Liverpool
    IN:

OUT:

Daniel Sturridge [Free Agent] Released - £120,000
    Alberto Moreno [Free Agent] Released - £40,000
    Adam Bogdan [Free Agent] Released - £15,000

... and so it begins

Net spend: £0
    Weekly wages: -£175,000