Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Summer Transfer Window

Default Re: 2019 Summer Transfer Window

See Fekir is back in the news.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Shocked, shocked! to find out that Philippe Coutinho whose intermittent back pain due to lack of silverware caused him to decamp to the Camp Nou would rule out Man United as a destination. If ever there was a team bound for glory in the near future, this is it. /S

It was nice to say, "Can't do it out of respect for Liverpool." The alternative, "You're crap and will be crap for years", doesn't sound as sweet.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Shocked, shocked! to find out that Philippe Coutinho whose intermittent back pain due to lack of silverware caused him to decamp to the Camp Nou would rule out Man United as a destination. If ever there was a team bound for glory in the near future, this is it. /S

It was nice to say, "Can't do it out of respect for Liverpool." The alternative, "You're crap and will be crap for years", doesn't sound as sweet.
    Exactamundo.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    Exactamundo.
    Sit on it, Ralph!
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

I see Hummels has rejoined Dortmund for €38m. A lot of wonga for a 30 year old centerhalf who didn't always hold down a first team place at Bayern. VVD effect? Plus an indication of the value not only of VVD but also of De Ligt.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    I see Hummels has rejoined Dortmund for €38m. A lot of wonga for a 30 year old centerhalf who didn't always hold down a first team place at Bayern. VVD effect? Plus an indication of the value not only of VVD but also of De Ligt.
    A decent Center Back who had a few good years but not to be mentioned in the same breath with immortals like Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, and the never-to-be-forgotten Jonny Evans. /S
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

I always rated Hummels, but I haven't watched him much recently.

I need to start watching the African Cup and/or the Copa, as this transfer window is boring...
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

I ignore all the "Klopp advised", "Liverpool must", and "Liverpool urged" confetti being thrown around daily. It's the equivalent of being offered putting tips by the rest of your foursome when you've just thrashed them for 27 weekends in a row.

Marko Grujić, Shamal George, Kamil Grabara, Sadio Mane, Loris Karius, Joel Matip, Ragnar Klavan, Alex Manninger, Georginio Wijnaldum, Nat Phillips, Mohammed Salah, Dominic Solanke, Andy Robertson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Virgil van Dijk, Fabinho, Naby Keïta, Xherdan Shaqiri, Alisson, Ki-Jana Hoever

We are the current gold standard on how to efficiently conduct transfer business. Nary an Andy Carroll, a Mario Balotelli, or an El-Hadji Diouf in the whole lot.

I understand that it's vitally important to the future of the universe to farm clicks on the internet by blathering on and on but really, let's understand that "you don't tug on Superman's cape".

We are already "last season's Champions of Europe" - time flies and it's a new season. This last one was a long one and I'm not going through my usual it's-international-break withdrawal symptoms. I'm looking forward to the new season, seeing the kids play, finding out who among the ever-dwindling number of players that can help us we decide to bring in. But I have a weird serene feeling that we know what we're doing. I'm not compelled to agitate for this or that transfer or tactical switch. We have a really good team that is constantly improving. We run our business according to our own principles. Everyone gets along well and works their asses off for a common goal.

And having a big trophy in the cabinet settles the nerves wonderfully. It eliminates the need for "banter" entirely.

It's a real pleasure rooting for a team that doesn't lurch around like a circus clown. A team that is solid at every position from owner through ball boy. Hell, our stewards are probably legends.

I will reserve judgement on whoever we buy (if any) for at least a year and longer if it's a kid. It's great to be cheering the parade instead of reading nasty tweets about it.

I'm a believer.

Administrator

Club reversing position on Mignolet apparently. He’s staying.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Moi aussi. I was trying to think of who we'd buy based on the assumption that Mignolet goes along with Sturridge and Moreno. All I could think of was a backup GK - someone with the same profile as Karius when we bought him (assuming that Reina isn't interested in a job as a stopgap until one of the kids grows into it). I think we have enough cover at the other two: Firmino:Mané:Salah:Origi:Brewster at CF with Origi:Shaqiri:Chamberlain:Keita:Lallana dropping in to fill the missing winger slot (if any) and Robertson:Milner:Gomez at LB.

We're 1 deep at GK, 2 or 3 deep at FB, 5 or 6 deep at CD, 8 deep at MF (without Grujic), at least 3 deep up front although the quality drop-off might be precipitous there.

If there's a target of opportunity or a good, underrated kid we will snaffle him up but I don't see any big needs to fill. Anyone who'd improve the starting XI would cost a fortune and only be an incremental advance on what we already have.

Our age profile says young player ready in 3 years at CD, old player or young player at backup GK. If Shamal George is ready then we've got it all covered with a Goalkeeper/Striker. ;-)
    Sepp - Is that you?