Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fathead brings the dwarves to Anfield. Newcastle home.

Administrator

Default Fathead brings the dwarves to Anfield. Newcastle home.

Back after the international break and I think all LFC players got through unscathed. Which means that the medical team had time to work on Alisson and Keita and the training team to work with Adrian. So all good, in other words, or as good as it can be.

I know Newcastle beat Spurs in Lahhdunn, but I'm far from convinced by them; they were more dangerous under Benitez and even then were seen as a relatively easy mark for us. Under Bruce, they're not as good, I believe.

We're into the second week of September and we still have 5 games left in the month, including the CL and the League Cup, so I think we won't see our strongest possible side. Gomez and AOC should probably see starts and I wonder if Lallana will be involved at some stage? Shaqiri begged off Switzerland duty, so I think he'll definitely be in the mix. Having said that, we're away to Napoli on Tuesday, so I won't be too surprised to see Shaqiri start in Italy rather than here. Anyway...

It should be a win, I'm not definitely writing Newcastle off, but if we can't beat them at home after a 2 week break, well....

Default Re: Fathead brings the dwarves to Anfield. Newcastle home.

I agree. Unless we have a major post-international hangover, I expect us to walk this match at Anfield. I also think we'll see Bobby rested and maybe Jordan, with an eye on Napoli.

Dave's Team:

Adrian

Gomez Matip VvD Robertson

Milner Fabinho AOC

Salah Origi Mane
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Per The Guardian, Andy Carroll is not fit for “an emotional return” to Anfield.

Emm, so which exactly would those emotions be?

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post

Thirst?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andy-Carroll-partying-in-Las-Vegas.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	1674
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

In more promising news, Andy Carroll is apparently fit for a quasi-indifferent, insouciant return to Anfield.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

Adrian;

Alexander-Arnold, Matip, van Dijk, Robertson;

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Fabinho, Wijnaldum;

Salah, Mane, Origi.

Subs: Milner, Firmino, Gomez, Henderson, Lallana, Shaqiri, Kelleher.

Administrator

Dayyyamn!!! Was just composing a post to say that there was a goal coming and then Salah! (Lost the opportunity to absolutely show what perceptive reader of game I am!! )

BTW, anyone see Salah being selfish again? Shooting rather than crossing to Wijnaldum for the tap-in?

Anfield Sub

Dayyyamn!!! Was just composing a post to say that there was a goal coming and then Salah! (Lost the opportunity to absolutely show what perceptive reader of game I am!! )

BTW, anyone see Salah being selfish again? Shooting rather than crossing to Wijnaldum for the tap-in?
    Yes. He should turn/ spin 180 degree, then back-heel with his RIGHT foot for Wijnaldum to tap-in.

Why was that not a penalt, by the way ?
    Tony

Administrator

I think we got a glimpse of why Klopp sometimes goes for Gomez when a more defensive perspective is needed.

Their goal was superb, well taken, great shot and will be up there for goal of the month. But he should never have been able to cut inside TAA and get the ball on his right foot. The defense had the box covered, there were no free men. TAA should have come out earlier and tighter on Willem and shuttled him to the byline.

Instead, by not challenging early, he allowed Willem to run at him a little and then cut inside. It was a poor goal (albeit very well taken) to give up.

A team with more attacking options and better players would and will target TAA.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by olt View Post
    Why was that not a penalt, by the way ?
    BT suggested - not that I agree - that the ref saw it firstly as a 50/50 tussle and secondly because Matip got his header away, that he hadn’t been unduly infringed upon. Judgement call and they’re not VAR reviewable.