Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2019 Summer Transfer Window

Default Re: 2019 Summer Transfer Window

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I can't lay my hands on the quote (I think it's Melissa Reddy) but loosely paraphrased it went something like: "Coutinho left as Liverpool's best player, he'd return as sixth or seventh best."

Ouch.
    Ouch, indeed!
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

I can't lay my hands on the quote (I think it's Melissa Reddy) but loosely paraphrased it went something like: "Coutinho left as Liverpool's best player, he'd return as sixth or seventh best."

Ouch.
    I knew Andy Lonergan was good, but…

Administrator

Harry is 22. While he will still improve, he's at an age (like Ryan Kent) where the team starts to make final decisions about your future. I guess they feel that they have 95% level of certainty about your ceiling. What you see is what you get.

Ben is 19. He was much more impressive at 16 than recently. Then again, he's dealing with a whole new body. I think they are much less clear on where his ceiling is. And at Liverpool questions are always answered with more data.

So Harry is a near-term but fairly clear decision. Ben is a distant but foggier one.

That might be why you think Ben is seeing more daylight.
    I’m wondering if Wilson’s deadball qualities are what’s keeping him on the books? There’s no doubting that he’s in the top 5-10 deadball strikers in the league at the moment. But what else does he have in his locker? He’s not blessed with electrifying pace, dribbling skills or playmaker nous (not saying he has none of those qualities, just that they’re not his strengths), but if he can improve those aspects of his game, then maybe.

I suspect that’s what Klopp has in mind with this loan. See if he develops his open play capabilities, even a fraction, then maybe there’s a future for him at Anfield. Absent those improvements, I can’t see Klopp keeping him around because he hits free kicks around the box better than most.

So both Duncan (€2mm) & Kent (£7mm) going on European deadline day.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Final rumors:

Ryan Kent to Rangers for "in region of £6/7m" [Joyce]

Bobby Duncan to Fiorentina for 2.0 MM Euros with a 20% sell-on clause [Joyce]

Edit: GMTA (see above)
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

I had thought Duncan would stay, but so much for that.

It looked to me that there were only a few solutions to the impasse:

* He stayed (with an apology) and the agent exited.

* He left and kept the agent.

* An outside chance that he and agent both stayed.

But Liverpool being Liverpool and footballing business being what it is, there was of course another way. He left and Liverpool ostracized the agent in such a fashion that it’s unlikely he’ll ever represent another Liverpool player or target.

Liverpool used the agent who had brokered the City to Liverpool deal, cutting Rubie out entirely. I suspect what this means is that Liverpool have caused trouble between the agents as to who gets the 15% and who represents him. In many ways, exiling Rubie is much more draconian than the way Duncan was treated and the effects on Rubie will be longer lasting than Duncan.

This Daily Mail article is very interesting, showing albeit from one example how far away Duncan was. But as I have said before on this, with precious few exceptions, the 18 year old who sets youth football on fire is not the 21 year old who dominates senior football. Michael Owen is one of the few Liverpool players I can think of; perhaps Sterling also.

Really, really badly advised and you would hope for Duncan that in 10 years time he won’t be cadging pints on the basis that he scored for Liverpool. Once. Against Tranmere. In pre-season. But that outcome is a more likely possibility today than it was yesterday.