Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Summer Transfer Window

Default 2019 Summer Transfer Window

With one more game to play (and it's a biggie), I've barely noticed the transfer window has actually opened, but it's probably time to open this vintage's thread.

A lot of noise about de Ligt, noticeably after Balague appeared to have mentioned that we were in negotiations (since denied), but Echo now saying he isn't in the mix, which makes sense. Gomez the long-term partner to VvD and Matip/Lovren good back-ups. Timo Werner still linked, though I've seen no confirmation on that one. That one seems more likely, but if Klopp is eager to give Origi & Brewster more of a chance, maybe not a priority. I do worry about injuries to the top three, with not much cover for either Salah or Mane. I suspect we might see one of Ajax's (or other) cheap forwards come over as a squad player, rather than £70mm on Werner.

Backup for Alisson required.

I expect to see at least one new midfielder, hopefully at the top-drawer quality - Brandt or Neves appeal.

Don't see a lot of action, but we need depth.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Anfield Sub

Default Re: 2019 Summer Transfer Window

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    With one more game to play (and it's a biggie), I've barely noticed the transfer window has actually opened, but it's probably time to open this vintage's thread.

A lot of noise about de Ligt, noticeably after Balague appeared to have mentioned that we were in negotiations (since denied), but Echo now saying he isn't in the mix, which makes sense. Gomez the long-term partner to VvD and Matip/Lovren good back-ups. Timo Werner still linked, though I've seen no confirmation on that one. That one seems more likely, but if Klopp is eager to give Origi & Brewster more of a chance, maybe not a priority. I do worry about injuries to the top three, with not much cover for either Salah or Mane. I suspect we might see one of Ajax's (or other) cheap forwards come over as a squad player, rather than £70mm on Werner.

Backup for Alisson required.

I expect to see at least one new midfielder, hopefully at the top-drawer quality - Brandt or Neves appeal.

Don't see a lot of action, but we need depth.

Agree about a new midfielder. Someone who can dribble and scare defenders (and score goals like *that* Firmino's goal against Arsenal)

What about cover for left-back position?
    Miller? Gomez?
    Or Robertson = Robot-son in Scottish?
    It is tough to sign a quality player and ask him to be a backup. Perhaps, someone in the youth team?
    Tony

Lloyd Kelly was mooted, but he's gone to Bournemouth I think. Definitely need a bit of LB cover, with a youthful angle. Sessegnon could be an option, but not sure whether he thinks he should be starting...
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Agree about Central Defense - we're 5 deep there (the usual suspects + Fabinho) and kids for the cups. The problem with losing a multi-position player like Gomez for any length of time is losing cover at multiple positions. Joe goes down and we lose a starter/backup CD, a backup RB, and a backup LB. Of course if Fabinho goes down we lose a starter HM and backup at 10 other positions ;-)

I'd like some cover on the wings from FB through AM to the Mo-or-Sadio-needs-a-rest positions. Perhaps some left and right-sided youths (say two, one of each). The people we get, if any, likely won't be names I've heard from the papers but they'd be something like Sessignon's or Wan-Bissaka's unknown little brothers for 5 or 10 million if recent experience is any guide. We're only losing Studge, Moreno, perhaps Lallana, and Mignolet. Studge=Brewster, Moreno=?, Lallana=Grujic/?, Mignolet=?.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

Think Lallana is on his way, I read and deffo for Mignolet.

Lallana leaving makes sense, with Ox as a better, younger option in a similar mould.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Cheeky bid for Mbappe?
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Hmmmm. Not certain what it would achieve. It’s the old truism that if you pull out a gun, you best be ready to use it. If it’s a bid for shits and giggles, you stand the chance of upsetting the front 3, plus Origi and Brewster (assuming Sturridge to be gone). If it’s legitimate, then the price will be well north of £100m, I would have thought. And surely that money would be better spent elsewhere? Such as a backup keeper if Mignolet is gone as rumored, or at left back or in the midfield?

And then there is the third, and worst, option: seriously chasing him and missing out which pisses off just about everyone. I have no doubt Mbappé would be a good addition, but a 4th world class forward for a 3 man forward line is going to see noses out of joint.

I'm sure the guy has Barca or Madrid on his mind, but I'd hate to see him end up at City. He's a phenomenal player and about the only player I could think of, who is an upgrade on Salah. Break glass, maybe, if Salah or Mane's head get turned by Madrid (which seems a bit unlikely, but then again Stevie's head was turned, if only momentarily).
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Saw that we've been linked with Pepe Reina as backup, if (when) Migs leaves. I really like that idea, if he's OK to act as backup & start the odd (domestic) Cup game. He's known to be great in the dressing room, has gobs of experience and has a genuine affection/connection to the club.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp