Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Up against it. Barca home.

Anfield Sub

Default Re: Up against it. Barca home.

Damn Scousers Again !!!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by RyeRed View Post
    Great analysis. Promises to be a great European night at Anfield, expect the supporters to be in full song. But yeah not expecting us to get anything from this. A very good CL run nonetheless.
    Glad to keep my record of being completely wrong on these things unblemished. What a night. Shades of Istanbul.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

That worked out rather well. Frankly better than I expected.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by olt View Post
    Damn Scousers Again !!!
    Indeed!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by olt View Post
    I would say set up the team to play for a 1-0 / 2-0 win. Once we are up 2-0, the Kop will do the rest for us.
    And please remember to shoot more, and get ready for any rebound.
    Never doubted you!

Where to start? I couldn't fall asleep last night as I read one article after another, watched one clip after another and that has (despite the four hours of sleep) continued through to today. Having won a ticket the CL Final lottery allocation in February, I was wondering after last week's performance whether I wanted Ajax or Spurs to maximize the value of my ticket on StubHub. Last night, as I checked to see where I was sat, I saw less good tickets going for £3500 on some tout web-site, but I think I'll keep it, thanks. Madrid, here we (and I) come!

Having been a Liverpool fan now for roughly 25 years, I have endured the bad and reveled in the glorious and man, when we do glorious, WE DO GLORIOUS! In contrast to Olympiakos, Istanbul, Wembley & Dortmund, I was home and sober, so I actually remember the second half of this game clearly the next day and I expect for the next many, many years. I am truly blessed to have fallen in love with this team, which gives the good with the bad (and the glorious failures), but almost always with great passion and wonderful support. People hate when we talk about the 'magic of Anfield', etc. but only because they are jealous. Anfield IS magical (on occasion) and the supporters ARE (very often) a different class.

The best commentary from last nights' game, funnily enough, came from Jose Mourinho, who ascribes the win as the outcome of Klopp's man management and team-building ethos, which is undoubtedly true. The team is now filled with real quality, but the sum of the parts is greater than the whole, as contributions from our normally bit-part players has shown this season and last night, in spades.

As Klopp said, Football is not the most important thing in the world, but the emotions of last night are a thing of real beauty and their rarity is what makes them so special.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Then there's that whole analysis-video-to-help-the-ballboys-improve-their-game thing:

The Liverpool defender’s quick thinking punished the Spanish champions but the routine was not entirely off-the-cuff. On Monday Klopp’s first-team analysts delivered a video presentation to the ballboys on duty for the semi-final. They were shown aspects of their performance against Porto in the previous round that could be improved and were drilled on returning the ball faster when Liverpool needed it. The analysts had noticed how Barcelona players regularly switched off after conceding a set piece or free-kick in the first leg. Oakley Cannonier, a 14-year-old Liverpool academy player, was the ballboy who paid attention and the dividends to the waiting England international.

Dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ool-wow-factor
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

1st Team Regular

hERR KLOPP:

"we know this club is a combination of atmosphere, emotion, desire and football quality, remove one and its not the club, we know this"

in answer to the question would the result be the same in an empty stadium
    Klopp: We have to deliver results, we have to deliver success, we have to deliver emotions, we have to deliver memories

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Then there's that whole analysis-video-to-help-the-ballboys-improve-their-game thing:

The Liverpool defender’s quick thinking punished the Spanish champions but the routine was not entirely off-the-cuff. On Monday Klopp’s first-team analysts delivered a video presentation to the ballboys on duty for the semi-final. They were shown aspects of their performance against Porto in the previous round that could be improved and were drilled on returning the ball faster when Liverpool needed it. The analysts had noticed how Barcelona players regularly switched off after conceding a set piece or free-kick in the first leg. Oakley Cannonier, a 14-year-old Liverpool academy player, was the ballboy who paid attention and the dividends to the waiting England international.

Dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ool-wow-factor
    Had read that article, but must have glossed over that part, therefore I hadn't read that article.

Klopp & Co. were going for it. No way do you prep the ballboys (and by video, no less) if you think it's a lost cause. Also it shows the level of analysis and preparation; I'm sure most/all top flight teams do it, but interesting to see it in action at the coalface.

I would think that the analysts thought they might have seen the rapid ball return as a way to garner maybe a yellow for Barca for complaining or maybe turn a throw into a free. I wonder did their wildest imaginings allow them to think the video presentation would lead to a goal, and the winning one at that?

Real inside baseball stuff, but from the smallest of acorns do winning goals grow.....

Administrator

This guy is a Newcastle fan. Speaks sense, but then again, I'm biased.