Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This time a favor from former LFC personnel? Newcastle away.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Default This time a favor from former LFC personnel? Newcastle away.

An odd Saturday evening kick off necessitated by our CL schedule. Seeing as Suárez didn’t do us a favor at the Camp Nou, here’s hoping Rafa does, in the metropolis of Newcastle. Have no doubt, this and Wolves are two tough games and while we do have the team to win both, as we saw on Wednesday, football can be a funny old game. Sneeze the wrong way once and you find yourself on the wrong end of a 3-0 scoreline when 3-2 or even 3-3 would not have been the wrong result. Razor thin, these margins.

Keita is gone for the season though Firmino should be fully back in the fold. I think TAA will be restored at the expense of Gomez. So back 4 same and front 3 same. Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum in the center. Milner and Shaqiri might see time and Lallana has not been seen in a while. A tough game, but hardly beyond us.

(An errant thought, with Suárez’s histrionics on Wednesday, wouldn’t the ideal wind-up merchant have been Lallana? )
    Last edited by Samarkand; May 3rd, 2019 at 09:53 AM.

Default Re: This time a favor from former LFC personnel? Newcastle away.

Agreed. Newcastle will be harder than Huddersfield, but I think after the midweek game, our forwards will be pretty hungry.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Alisson,

Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, van Dijk, Robertson,

Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum,

Salah, Sturridge, Mane.

Subs: Milner, Gomez, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mignolet, Shaqiri, Origi, Matip.

Administrator

The Firmino injury is looking more serious than originally believed.

Administrator

Note to self: If you eat just before Liverpool play a very tight game at the end of the season, there's a very decent chance you'll throw up, somewhere around the 6th minute of injury time.

1st Team Regular

Whew
    Klopp: We have to deliver results, we have to deliver success, we have to deliver emotions, we have to deliver memories

Administrator

When it was 2-2 late on, no way, no how did I see an equalizer. I'm still not sure how they managed it. Newcastle had stopped our fullbacks about 25 yards out, playing 5 at the back, allowing the 2 wingbacks to push out on them. Then clogging up the center as we were missing our ball wizards Salah, Firmino and to a lesser extent Wijnaldum. A third goal never looked likely.

Anfield Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    When it was 2-2 late on, no way, no how did I see an equalizer. I'm still not sure how they managed it. Newcastle had stopped our fullbacks about 25 yards out, playing 5 at the back, allowing the 2 wingbacks to push out on them. Then clogging up the center as we were missing our ball wizards Salah, Firmino and to a lesser extent Wijnaldum. A third goal never looked likely.
    Who is that guy, #27?

He also scored the first goal in my first real match at Anfield, versus Sunderland, on 2016-11-26.
    Tony

Administrator

Y’know I was just thinking last night, that a year ago, it was looking all over for Origi. He out on loan at Wolfsburg and the take on him was that he was wasteful, needed 4-5 chances to get a shot on goal and was perhaps slightly highly strung. Since his return, and for pretty much all of this season, he does seem to have accepted his role as back up and does reasonably well when he comes on.

Despite Sturridge starting yesterday, I think Origi is ahead of him in the pecking order. The word is that Sturridge will not be offered a new contract and will be on his way over the summer. But I can see Origi staying. Which, considering Wolfsburg had the option to buy (I think) last summer, I never thought I’d see.

Whew, needed to run out for a new box of Depends after that one. Divvie has come up big again, yikes what drama at the end. Wonder if he's the depth "answer" up front or a recruiting priority in the summer.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly