Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tougher game than Barcelona. Fact! Wolves home.

Administrator

Default Tougher game than Barcelona. Fact! Wolves home.

By now even the most casual fan knows the situation. Beat Wolves and hope Brighton manage to draw (or gulp!) beat City. Otherwise we finish second and City the win the League. Many will be focusing on the south coast, wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'. But as Klopp might say, let's focus on the things we can control. The team cannot get Brighton to play well or City badly, but they can play well enough themselves to beat Wolves.

Wolves have had a very good season for a promoted side. 57 points, definite 7th (can't lose or gain a position, regardless of results) and have generally proven a tough nut to crack. We did win away before Christmas, but only with a seriously dogged performance and they did do us, albeit and understrength side, in the FA Cup. I suspect they'll want to reach 60 points and would be interested in taking an Anfield scalp, but also I think they'll know their season is run. So it probably won't be a 100% effort. But it won't be too far short either and it will be a tougher game than Barcelona. I doubt that it'll be 4-0, probably closer to 2-1, 2-0, 1-0. Which means, yes, I do think LFC will win.

Team selection will depend on fitness and those whom Klopp thinks might need a run out ahead of Madrid. The back four will be the same, except I can see Gomez or Lovern replacing Matip. The front 3 will probably be Salah, Mane and Origi, assuming Firmino doesn't make the grade. Though then again, I could see Shaqiri in for Origi. As ever, the midfield is the guessing game. Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum at a guess, though Milner might see a start in front of Henderson.

We'll finish out the season in style, though how much of it will largely depend on a game over which we have no influence.

(I'm dreaming of a last minute penalty for Brighton, who are 1-0 down, with the Kop holding its breath!)

Administrator

Default Re: Tougher game than Barcelona. Fact! Wolves home.

Firmino the only injury according to the boss and he hopes he should be good for Madrid, which is vaguely concerning.

Administrator

An odd little stat. Liverpool have twice won the league by beating Wolves on the final day – in 1947 and 1976.

Administrator

One last time, one last push.

Alisson;

Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Matip, Robertson;

Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Henderson;

Salah, Origi, Mane.

Subs: Mignolet, Lovren, Milner, Gomez, Sturridge, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaqiri.

Anfield Sub

Go get the 3 points please.
    Tony

Administrator

Not to be. Tried hard, did the necessary with a win, but jut not to be. Onwards to Madrid and next season.

Anfield Sub

Very proud of everyone. One more game to win, preferably in 90 minutes.
    Tony

Hard to enjoy the game with all the cutting in from some other game with people in ugly uniforms. Anything less than a meteor striking the earth (preferably in Manchester) can wait until halftime/end of game.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Did everything we could after our draw slip-ups, came up just a bit short no complaints. Brilliant season so far, 97 points and one league loss is not too shabby. Got to treat this last game like another cup final... oh, wait...
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Administrator

Things that influenced the title destination this season:
    1. City with 1 more point than us
    2. 4 draws after Christmas - United, W Ham, Leicester and Everton
    3. Less than 12mm against City
    4. Kompany's 2-footed tackle on Salah not seeing red
    5. City relentless 14 game win streak to close out the season
    6. Kompany's wonder goal against Leicester
    7. Inheanco not being able to hit a cow's arse, a barn door, a barn, a farmer or a farm from less than 12 yds.