A bit of a break from the joys of a title race so we can focus on the joys of a European Cup chase. It’s probably fair to say that 90+% of Liverpool fans wanted Porto in the QFs more than any other side. With a 5-0 thumping last season still fresh in the memory, I suppose the thinking is more of the same, yes please. I don’t know enough about Porto’s form this season to determine if they’re better or worse than last season. They are in a two-horse race for their title (with Benfica) like us with City. They’ve lost 3 games so far, compared to 2 for the whole of last season, when they won the title. They did knock out Roma in the R16, but the thinking there is that Roma’s zenith might have been against us for them. In short, I’m guessing they may have improved, but probably not by enough.

Our greatest concern is the suspension of Robertson and it appears that Milner will fill the role. Given the improvement he made to the side when he came on against Southampton, I think that will preclude Klopp putting in a youngster from the reserves. The back four then with Milner, the front 3 as expected. Again the guesswork is about the midfield. Henderson after his Southampton heroics? I would think yes. Fabinho and Wijnaldum to make up the triumvirate. Which means Keita sits despite his Southampton heroics and no start for Lallana.

I wonder if AOC makes the bench? Given that we’re expected to win handily enough, perhaps. I’m not certain we will repeat last season’s score line, but I do expect us to carry a 2+ goal advantage to Portugal.