Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CL R16 1st Leg. Bayern (h).

Administrator

Default CL R16 1st Leg. Bayern (h).

We were blessed to arse out of our group as we did, now itís time for our big boy pants. Bayern might not be having the greatest season so far, but theyíre still a very good side. And they did win their group. So I doubt thereís anyone not taking them seriously.

VVD is definitely out and word is Fabinho will slot in beside Matip. Apparently Henderson was in the mix here also and in truth Iíd probably prefer Hendo in the back 4 with Fabinho in the center of the park. My concern is that Fabinho may drift into the center. I presume TAA and Robertson start as do the usual front 3, though word is that Firmino has a virus and is a doubt. Shaqiri if so.

Wijnaldum starts in midfield. Joining him will be 2 of Henderson, Milner and Keita. Though I truly would hate to pick that. I think Milner might lose out.

I believe Bayern have some injuries and suspensions, but you can only play the team put out in front of you. I expect Liverpool to win, though I donít know if they have it to hold Bayern to zero. Maybe. The tie was always set up for the second leg and Iíve a notion while weíll win here, the heroics will be in the second leg.

Administrator

Default Re: CL R16 1st Leg. Bayern (h).

Alisson,

Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Fabinho, Robertson,

Wijnaldum, Henderson, Keita,

Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Mignolet, Milner, Sturridge, Moreno, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi.

Henderson having a good game, as is Bobby.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Iím worried about our fullbacks.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Fabinho. Henderson. Immense. Saved our bacon as our fullbacks got schooled by their wings. Gotta pack our shooting boots for the trip to Bavaria.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

0-0 at home is not the worst result for a two-legged tie, where the away goals rule applies. That said, it's more of a Rafa-era result than a Klopp-era result. A score draw in Germany will be a challenge, so I think we really need to get at them in Bavaria and go for the win outright.

Hendo & Fabinho were great and I think some Liverpool fans might have just learned what world-class full-backs look like (ours are super and young, but I think Bayern's are better). Our front three were nearly there, but nearly there against a side like Bayern in the CL knock-outs doesn't cut the mustard.

In any event, in three weeks' time, we ought to have closer to a full-strength defense and hopefully two stonking wins against our greatest local rivals in the bag.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

We can spin this only so far, but advantage Bayern. There’s a stat that 70% of ties are won by the home team in the second leg in the case of 0-0 in the first. Yes, we all know a score draw or indeed an outright win will take us through, but Bayern, fading as they’re supposed to be, are a formidable force. They’re not likely to roll over in Munich.

Having said all that, there is serious hope for optimism in the second leg. Kimmich out and VVD back plays exactly into our paradigm, not Bayern’s. Our defense will be stronger when they’ll need to attack whereas their defense will be weaker increasing the chances for our attack. As disciplined and thorough as the Bayern defense was last night, Alaba and the Kimmich replacement will have to venture further forward. Also, there’s a very distinct feeling that Keita is finally hitting his strides and a few more big games (Utd and Everton) under his belt will stand to him by the time he rolls out in Germany.

Last night, the front 3 were off, Henderson and Fabinho had huge games, Matip, Wijnaldum and Keita all were solid 7s. The fullbacks has a bit of a torrid time going forward which does go a ways to explaining the misfiring front 3. Alisson was ok, without being inspiring, I do think the absence of VVD affected him most.

In ways, last night was like the away leg. Here’s hoping we’ll be home away from home in 3 weeks time.

No rose tinted glasses Bayern will be happier with this result, but without the burden of an away goal or two we do have a chance in the next leg. Hoping for a great effort and a spectacular game to watch.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    The tie was always set up for the second leg and I’ve a notion while we’ll win here, the heroics will be in the second leg.
    Now all they have to do is follow through on this!

Administrator

I’ve just realized how prescient and wonderful I am.

On an unrelated note, I need to praise myself more often.