Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porto v Liverpool: CL European Nights in February. My, how I've missed you!

Default Porto v Liverpool: CL European Nights in February. My, how I've missed you!

Genuinely excited to be in the knock-out stages of the Champions League after more years, than I was willing to Google. Liverpool head first to Porto on Wednesday. Porto sit atop the Portuguese league, came second in a group with Besiktas, Monaco & RB Leipzig and I have this feeling that our success vs. Portuguese teams is tepid, so we should be wary. Wondering whether Henderson was rested for Sunday's game.

Dave's team:

Karius

TAA Matip VvD Robertson

Can Henderson Windjaldum

Salah Firmino Mane
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Default Re: Porto v Liverpool: CL European Nights in February. My, how I've missed you!

I see Juve are playing Spurs in the CL; they had their Serie A game moved to Friday night. We prepared for Porto by playing late Sunday afternoon away from home.

Interesting to see if Mignolet will start, as Karius started the CL games as number 2. Then again, maybe Klopp was using the CL as prep for Karius’ elevation.

Default Re: Porto v Liverpool: CL European Nights in February. My, how I've missed you!

Forgot Can is banned for this one. Ox or Millie? Decisions, decisions.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Karius,

Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, van Dijk, Robertson,

Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum,

Salah, Firmino, Mane.

Subs: Mignolet, Gomez, Moreno, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ings, Matip.

Administrator

Delighted for Mané.

And Ings.

Administrator

I know Porto haven’t been up to much, but for a few different reasons, Karius is and will remain the number 1.

I admit I was a little worried up to the first goal. While we had plenty of the ball, we weren't really creating any chances and they had a few moments, where a better team might have buried one in the back of the net. Once we got the first one, though, the boys hit the gas and Porto couldn't handle us. Thought the whole team was great, actually and I'd be happy seeing that starting 11 in any game in the future.

No game this weekend and two games in between the next one, but barring a catastrophe, we should stroll into the quarterfinals.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    ……...but barring a catastrophe, we should stroll into the quarterfinals.
    I'm trying to foresee what sort of catastrophe could happen to allow us to ship 6-7-8 goals or 5 without reply and lose on penalties. 3 sent off? Bent ref? Squad illness?

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    I'm trying to foresee what sort of catastrophe could happen to allow us to ship 6-7-8 goals or 5 without reply and lose on penalties. 3 sent off? Bent ref? Squad illness?
    I'd say 'stranger things have happened', but then again, they probably haven't.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

I cannot conceive of any on field calamity that would allow Porto to win. And if we’re getting into off field permutations, then it would have to be something like LFC playing a suspended player, caught bribing the ref or a plane going down.

Saying they can’t lose is not tempting fate, but the second leg is as close to a formality as you can get.