Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v Tottenham: Revenge, Part Deux

Administrator

Default Re: Liverpool v Tottenham: Revenge, Part Deux

Don’t hugely disagree Rob, but because VVD gave the linesman a decision to make, well…

Fair point about this crew of officials, though, I’d have that linesman as a ref. He seemed to have more balls than the ref. Ref did have a shocker.

Nope. On replay the deciding play was never a penalty. There was no actual contact, VvD withdrew his leg, blatant dive. Please, let's not have these "officials" do another Prem match. The bozos decided a result on their own, in a very tight race. Unacceptable, really. Great match for the neutral, though.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Extra credit for failing to award a card on the high kick that was actually a high kick while near a player in your line of sight. Surprised we didn't see at least yellow from the same referee that gave Sadio a red for something that wasn't a foul. I'd *really* like to not see this crew of officials again any time soon.
    How ironic huh?

Can't blame Sadio for sitting there looking at the ref like "Oi! Dickhead! Get your cards out then!"

The Dembele swipe at him in the first half as well.

Strange how both games yesterday had a lino becoming a hero. It's only really football I can think of (not thought much so could be wrong) that the extra officials don't get hugely involved, so maybe encouraging them is right. But conflicting opinions don't work, Moss saw it, was closer, and didn't give it.

Decisions aside we shouldn't sidestep that Spurs were well worth a point.

Hearing that "we can't press for 90 minutes", well we were being outplayed from around 50 minutes, so is it more to do with personnel? We managed to press for 80 minutes against City before getting nervous. Henderson had played 1 3/4 games in a week already after a lengthy layoff, but for me all our midfield were poor 2nd half. Hendo aside (who was ok) Can went missing, could have diverted the ball Karius punched, also lost his shape 2nd half. AOC was awful again, has looked an Arsenal sub ever since his awesome performance against Man City. We can't have a couple of great games followed by a month of cack. Letting Wanyama past him was schoolboy and his passing moving forward was woeful. Our problems were our own making, having worked so hard to get the ball we gave away within seconds. You can't press like that if you don't get a breather. Wasn't surprised to see our passing completion was down about 65%.

Lets be clear, this is where we miss Coutinho. He keeps the ball, draws fouls, and also finds space. I'll accept that Naby Keita, who I watched for the first time properly on Saturday night, is an upgrade on what we have. But we need more depth.

Administrator

Having a rethink on my earlier refs pronouncements.

I'm definitely of the mind that if the ref was closer on the second call and saw nothing, then the linesman needed compelling evidence. Even on the replay there wasn't. But I still hold to the maxim of do not give the ref a decision to make.

On the first penalty, Lovern did play Kane onside, so the question becomes did Kane dive and/or did Karius foul him? Kane dived and Karius nudged him. On those, some given, some not.

As pissed off as I am that it is 2 points dropped and not putting daylight between us and Spurs and for allowing Chelsea back into the 3rd place frame, the more rational side of my brain (it does exist, y'know) tells me that a draw was probably the right result.

And, yes, Rob, you're right, let's not see this crew of officials for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware Red View Post
    Decisions aside we shouldn't sidestep that Spurs were well worth a point.

Hearing that "we can't press for 90 minutes", well we were being outplayed from around 50 minutes, so is it more to do with personnel? We managed to press for 80 minutes against City before getting nervous. Henderson had played 1 3/4 games in a week already after a lengthy layoff, but for me all our midfield were poor 2nd half. Hendo aside (who was ok) Can went missing, could have diverted the ball Karius punched, also lost his shape 2nd half. AOC was awful again, has looked an Arsenal sub ever since his awesome performance against Man City. We can't have a couple of great games followed by a month of cack. Letting Wanyama past him was schoolboy and his passing moving forward was woeful. Our problems were our own making, having worked so hard to get the ball we gave away within seconds. You can't press like that if you don't get a breather. Wasn't surprised to see our passing completion was down about 65%.

Lets be clear, this is where we miss Coutinho. He keeps the ball, draws fouls, and also finds space. I'll accept that Naby Keita, who I watched for the first time properly on Saturday night, is an upgrade on what we have. But we need more depth.
    Yup. The MF is what it is for the moment. Couldn't stay with Spurs for the full match. Keita will bw a welcome addition but he's only the start of a badly needed overhaul there. Hope the owners let it happen.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Administrator

Both penalties dodgy, yes, but a thought struck me as they infrequently do. Lovren and VVD directly involved in both.

Administrator

Watford doing us a favor - 3-1 over Chelsea with 2-3 mins plus injury time left.

Administrator

4-1 now.

Administrator

Well, well. Still 3rd.