Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v Everton: Derby, the FA Cup edition!

Default Re: Liverpool v Everton: Derby, the FA Cup edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Read people thought it was after Firminho's initial tirade, because Holgate was initially calm then seemed to react to something. If so, Madley would have been right there, literally, to hear whatever was said between the two of them which is either good (assuming Firminho didn't say anything) or bad (assuming he did), depending. I guess we will find out in due course.
    Or we go down the whole "he said something in Portuguese that *sounds* like a bad word to English people" rathole. Which was a part of the Suarez debacle (but not in Portuguese).

I don't get why the push in the back outside the pitch isn't a straight red. Surely that's violent conduct, no? Attempting to injure an opponent?
    In a perfect world with adequate (let's even dream of competent) referees it is.

But this is not that world or that league.
    Last edited by RobR; January 6th, 2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Formatting
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Straight red for that push. Violent conduct, attempt to injure. Holgate should be charged. And he's pulling out the race card to protect himself from the consequences of his actions. But, as Rob said we're in the parallel universe of the FA so Firmino is likely to banned for life (swarthy furriner that he is).
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by RyeRed View Post
    Straight red for that push. Violent conduct, attempt to injure. Holgate should be charged. And he's pulling out the race card to protect himself from the consequences of his actions. But, as Rob said we're in the parallel universe of the FA so Firmino is likely to banned for life (swarthy furriner that he is).
    When an FA suit uses BTW on twitter it means "Ban the Wog."
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

£10 on VVD to score a header @ 14/1. My younger brother had it at 20/1 when he signed (same stake).

Kop End winner with 2 minutes to go made it all the more sweeter than the profit!

Bobby cleared of the racism allegations. Though, the FA says the charges were made in good faith. Pfff.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

I think, but am prepared to be called on this one, you have to understand the nuances of English society, especially the Establishment, to say one thing and mean the exact opposite when you look at the FA’s statement. Bear in mind they needed to say very little, if indeed anything, about the veracity of Holgate’s accusation. The statement would have been complete without even mentioning Holgate’s mens rea. However, look at what they said.

Having considered all of the available evidence, we consider it is not sufficient to raise a charge against Firmino. However, we are completely satisfied that the allegation was made in absolute good faith by Holgate and that there is no suggestion of this being an intentionally false or malicious allegation. We continue to take all allegations of discrimination extremely seriously and would encourage all participants who believe that they have been the subject of or witness to discriminatory abuse to report this through the appropriate channels.”

Firmino’s statement is rather classy.

"As difficult as it has been to remain publicly silent, given the serious and damaging nature of what it was claimed I said during the game, I did so to demonstrate my respect for the process and to allow the issue to be investigated in the most thorough way.

It is critical for football that tackling racism and all forms of discrimination is taken extremely seriously. As someone who has experienced racist abuse during my life, I know how damaging and hurtful it can be.

Now the process is concluded, I would like to place on record, for the avoidance of any doubt, I did not say the word, or a variation of the word, that was claimed and subsequently reported in the media. I did not use any language that referenced race. I did not - and would never - reference a person’s skin colour or culture, by means of insult, during a dispute or an argument.

There is no place for discrimination on a football pitch, or anywhere else in life for that matter.

I am pleased after exhaustive reviews of all the evidence, in this specific incident, the matter is resolved."

Very classy quote indeed.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    I think, but am prepared to be called on this one, you have to understand the nuances of English society, especially the Establishment, to say one thing and mean the exact opposite when you look at the FA’s statement. Bear in mind they needed to say very little, if indeed anything, about the veracity of Holgate’s accusation. The statement would have been complete without even mentioning Holgate’s mens rea. However, look at what they said.

Having considered all of the available evidence, we consider it is not sufficient to raise a charge against Firmino. However, we are completely satisfied that the allegation was made in absolute good faith by Holgate and that there is no suggestion of this being an intentionally false or malicious allegation. We continue to take all allegations of discrimination extremely seriously and would encourage all participants who believe that they have been the subject of or witness to discriminatory abuse to report this through the appropriate channels.”

Firmino’s statement is rather classy.

"As difficult as it has been to remain publicly silent, given the serious and damaging nature of what it was claimed I said during the game, I did so to demonstrate my respect for the process and to allow the issue to be investigated in the most thorough way.

It is critical for football that tackling racism and all forms of discrimination is taken extremely seriously. As someone who has experienced racist abuse during my life, I know how damaging and hurtful it can be.

Now the process is concluded, I would like to place on record, for the avoidance of any doubt, I did not say the word, or a variation of the word, that was claimed and subsequently reported in the media. I did not use any language that referenced race. I did not - and would never - reference a person’s skin colour or culture, by means of insult, during a dispute or an argument.

There is no place for discrimination on a football pitch, or anywhere else in life for that matter.

I am pleased after exhaustive reviews of all the evidence, in this specific incident, the matter is resolved."
    Thanks for that I missed it midweek. Love Bobby and his shiny WHITE teeth. Can I say that?

And by the way.

Where the eff is the violent conduct charge on Holgate for the push?

Administrator

Therein is the nub of the matter. Holgate lost the head, pushed Firmino into the stands and was looking for an excuse, a misdirection. So he invented. And I’d give him 3 months for the invention plus 3 games for the push. I’ll bet LFC fans and Firmino won’t forget too easily or quickly.