Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Winter Transfer Window 2018

Default Re: Winter Transfer Window 2018

The only question that remains is when the right moment and right buyer come along to maximize their profit on a sale.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by RyeRed View Post
    The only question that remains is when the right moment and right buyer come along to maximize their profit on a sale.
    Nope. They aren't in the Premier League to flip a team for a profit, quick or otherwise. Their business pattern is to buy a slightly dilapidated franchise (Red Sox, Liverpool) and make them competitive while reaping the rewards of improving the team. In Klopp they have the ideal manager. Someone who believes in his ability to get the best out of players. Someone with excellent taste in the transfer market. Someone who cares more about winning than Attila the Hun.

So while you or I might settle for Rudiger and not wait for van Dyke. Or buy a different midfielder instead of buying Naby Keita futures. Or play Mignolet ahead of Karius because he is the "better" goalkeeper. Klopp won't. He was scarred by having Bayern steal every good player he developed at Dortmund so he found a way to make players with potential into *good* players who then regress to the mean after they leave. Not that they become failures, just 5% or 10% less special. Good enough for the ManUs and Arsenals of this world.

Our best bet of ever seeing a Premier League is Klopp + Fracking. Klopp because he can succeed within our budget. Fracking because $50 a barrel oil will do more for our chances than FPP ever did. ;-)
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Nope. They aren't in the Premier League to flip a team for a profit, quick or otherwise. Their business pattern is to buy a slightly dilapidated franchise (Red Sox, Liverpool) and make them competitive while reaping the rewards of improving the team. In Klopp they have the ideal manager. Someone who believes in his ability to get the best out of players. Someone with excellent taste in the transfer market. Someone who cares more about winning than Attila the Hun.

So while you or I might settle for Rudiger and not wait for van Dyke. Or buy a different midfielder instead of buying Naby Keita futures. Or play Mignolet ahead of Karius because he is the "better" goalkeeper. Klopp won't. He was scarred by having Bayern steal every good player he developed at Dortmund so he found a way to make players with potential into *good* players who then regress to the mean after they leave. Not that they become failures, just 5% or 10% less special. Good enough for the ManUs and Arsenals of this world.

Our best bet of ever seeing a Premier League is Klopp + Fracking. Klopp because he can succeed within our budget. Fracking because $50 a barrel oil will do more for our chances than FPP ever did. ;-)
    Good analysis, and they have run the club this way. But the little voice in my head tells me good strategic investors - which they appear to be - will always take advantage of the right opportunity to realize value and transfer assets to the next greater opportunity.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by RyeRed View Post
    Good analysis, and they have run the club this way. But the little voice in my head tells me good strategic investors - which they appear to be - will always take advantage of the right opportunity to realize value and transfer assets to the next greater opportunity.
    At what point does John Henry decide to cash in his chips in general or does he carry on like Buffet? I think commercially LFC / PL will peak if they reach a new £10 billion TV deal with the next package. Their profits if we've stayed in the top 4 will be huge. I think they'll look to sell in 3 years time.

Administrator

James Pearce word is that Lemar has not impressed this season in the slightest, has looked kinda awful and LFC will not be pursuing in the summer. The stats do back this up, but maybe this is also a negotiating ploy? Pearce does say that the LFC admiring glances will be cast elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    James Pearce word is that Lemar has not impressed this season in the slightest, has looked kinda awful and LFC will not be pursuing in the summer. The stats do back this up, but maybe this is also a negotiating ploy? Pearce does say that the LFC admiring glances will be cast elsewhere.
    Interesting looking at last seasons amazing Monaco team, that was broken up in a mass sale, as a few have flattered to deceive.

Mendy injured at City, Bernardo Silva on the periphery. Bakayoko poor at Chelsea and Mbappe doing okay I guess in a team of superstars playing pub footballers. Lemar certainly dropped off but I wouldn't say there is NO interest and the ploy to seem disinterested may be a smart one. Monaco could have missed out on the peak value.

I really hope we are doing serious work behind the scenes to get Klopp the players he wants, and don't court them on the big dipper in Blackpool like VVD. Quality not quantity is fine but when you have so many exiting you need to at least replace them.