Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Transfer Window 2018

Default Winter Transfer Window 2018

Will be an interesting mid-season transfer window I think. Will Coutinho go? If so, who will we buy? Will we finally land Van Dijk or will City gazump us?

Hearing Luiz will go for £30mm? I'd go for him, if that's the price and he's willing to come over £70mm for VVD.

Redknapp mooted a Coutinho/Suarez swap. Yes, please.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Default Re: Winter Transfer Window 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Will be an interesting mid-season transfer window I think. Will Coutinho go? If so, who will we buy? Will we finally land Van Dijk or will City gazump us?

Hearing Luiz will go for £30mm? I'd go for him, if that's the price and he's willing to come over £70mm for VVD.

Redknapp mooted a Coutinho/Suarez swap. Yes, please.
    I'd go for both those ideas as well, but they are "the future is now" type moves and I just don't think Klopp's into that.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by RyeRed View Post
    I'd go for both those ideas as well, but they are "the future is now" type moves and I just don't think Klopp's into that.
    Especially as the future *isn't now* but is two years away.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Especially as the future *isn't now* but is two years away.
    Salah was an established player and so is Van Dijk, for that matter. I guess both Luiz & Suarez are 30+, so I can get the resale angle, but that depends how cheap you can get them.

In our case, it seems more like we like to buy 'the future is at Barcelona/Real Madrid' types.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Salah was an established player and so is Van Dijk, for that matter. I guess both Luiz & Suarez are 30+, so I can get the resale angle, but that depends how cheap you can get them.

In our case, it seems more like we like to buy 'the future is at Barcelona/Real Madrid' types.
    I wasn't even considering resale value, although it's a point.

My thinking: "Do we catch City this year? Not likely. Do we win the CL while digesting these two players this year ? Not likely even if they are eligible. How much better are they than the players they replace, Lovren and Firmino, and for how long? Better this year as individuals but not used to playing our system."

SO - not this season.

Okay then, next year. Give them the rest of this season to bed in and pretend that in the process of unbalancing the team we still make top four so we're in the CL next season.

"Do we win the league? Not likely as the rest of the team is too young. Are we really these two players away from 1st place considering that one of our three or four best players (Naby Keita) just joined the team? Nope."

Okay then the following year.

"Now Suarez is 32 playing in a gegenpressing team- how is that working out? Would it have worked 3 years earlier? Yes. Now Davis Luiz is 32 and providing the mature leadership qualities we bought him for in a team where he's still got to run and play a high line. That seems an odd bet."

VVD won't help now as he's got to get into game shape. Fortunately for us City is out of reach and unlikely to come back to the pack so he has plenty of time to do it. Thomas Lemar/Your-Candidate-Here is still young and will be better in a year and a half after playing with our team.

Is your concern that we will lose Mané or Salah or (gasp) Mignolet?

I don't object to taking a shot at the title by selling a 25-year old and buying two 30-year olds but we'd need to be on the cusp of winning the league and I don't see us that way.

Note: Still having trouble quoting - to get this in I saved the quote first after typing "xxxx" to get around the three-character warning and then pasted in my comment, deleting my quoted part. Was asked the "Leave or Stay" question on the original post.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

You can't always be planning for the future. Experienced professionals are worth it, if they can have an immediate impact as I think both could. I'm not totally convinced that anyone can compete over a season with Man City, the way they are playing and with the resources they can bring to bear (£50mm for squad players, etc.) Older professionals are also less desirable to poach, which is salient given Coutinho and (likely) Salah's situations.

I don't see either happening, really, but I think both would improve us and given Coutinho is likely leaving either soon or in the summer, we need to be thinking about bringing players in who can be immediately impactful.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

You can't always be planning for the future. Experienced professionals are worth it, if they can have an immediate impact as I think both could. I'm not totally convinced that anyone can compete over a season with Man City, the way they are playing and with the resources they can bring to bear (£50mm for squad players, etc.) Older professionals are also less desirable to poach, which is salient given Coutinho and (likely) Salah's situations.

I don't see either happening, really, but I think both would improve us and given Coutinho is likely leaving either soon or in the summer, we need to be thinking about bringing players in who can be immediately impactful.
    So this really boils down to our assumptions. I expect Coutinho to go this summer (at our price). I expect Salah and Mané and Firmino to play for us in 2018-19. I don't hold out any guarantees after that.

If we expect that we will lose someone important besides Coutinho before next season then we're doomed anyway. There's no chance we can win by finding talent faster than the Spanish teams can poach it.

Our best bet is to spend a lot of time spreading disinformation in Barcelona. Telling them about how much Kevin de Bruyne and Raheem Sterling yearn to play at the Camp Nou. Sterling is a fifth column waiting to happen at all times.

I'd be gutted at Coutinho going in January, just can't see why he wouldn't wait until the summer. All boils down to what is pre-arranged with the club. The interview didn't have Phil saying "I love Liverpool", the boy is clearly off, but he can go with my blessing if he wins us #6 and propels us into 2nd place this season.

Cashing in on him in January makes no sense unless we can bring forward the Naby Keita deal which seams 99% unlikely, and why risk needing a player to settle in when Phil is playing the form of his life, plus we lose a CL eligible player and Barca can't play Phil.

Any scenario where Luis Suarez ends up back at LFC is a good deal. Even at 32or 33, he'll still be a world beater, the guy can run forever, he's perfect for the Klopp system.

Can you imagine a scenario where our forward options are Suarez, Salah, Mane and Firmino, with a midfield consisting of Keita and Lallana? Would only need an upgrade on Henderson and Wijnaldum and that's a serious team.

I think the January window will disappoint. VVD an obvious target if we can tempt them with an offer for £60m, but I don't see Jurgen spending. He trusts his team and recently our failings have been the forwards not putting games to bed, not the defence.

Administrator

Rumors that £70m has been agreed (structure in Southampton’s favor) and that we’re about to start negotiations with VVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    Rumors that £70m has been agreed (structure in Southampton’s favor) and that we’re about to start negotiations with VVD.
    Among other rumors of Citeh gazzumping us.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly