Thread: Brighton v Liverpool: A trip to the South Coast

Default Brighton v Liverpool: A trip to the South Coast

So we managed to game some points on Spurs, but our CL spot rivals all won. Arsenal host Man United, so at least some of the top 4 will drop points this weekend.

Klopp seems to be in the rotating mood and with a vital home game against Moscow looming, expect to see a bit of rotation again.

Dave's team:

Mignolet

Gomez Matip Lovren Moreno

Winjaldum Henderson Coutinho

Salah Firmino Mane
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Default Re: Brighton v Liverpool: A trip to the South Coast

What impressed me so much about the Stoke win was that it was a significantly rotated team, certainly not the strongest, not a B team and either, and they performed well. Granted, it took the introduction of Salah to seal the deal, but it was interesting to see that the team played the same as it would have, had it been the strongest possible. In other words, the system was/is working and maybe Klopp is there with almost seemlessly cut and pasting? Again, the defensive end of matters is far from the finished product, but maybe Klopp is getting there.

So with no disrespect to the Brightons and Stokes, if Liverpool are there or thereabouts (defense excepted), I suspect we’ll see a lot more selections like Stoke, certainly for teams in the bottom half of the table. And the strongest selections will be saved for the must win games.

So with all of the above being said, I think BD’s team might be a too much of the A team for Brighton and I’d expect the selection to be a similar amalgam to Stoke. (Now watch my arrogance and hubris be cruelly skewered by 5PM GMT on Saturday).

Matip's hurt so Klavan probably goes back in. TAA? We rested the front line, we rested the midfield, but injuries and the youth of TAA and Gomez have picked our defense for us.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Matip's hurt so Klavan probably goes back in. TAA? We rested the front line, we rested the midfield, but injuries and the youth of TAA and Gomez have picked our defense for us.
    I am trying to figure out what Robertson needs to do to get a game. Hopefully, he gets a game tomorrow' plus I think we might see TAA in for Gomez and then Gomez back for Moscow and the Bluesh*te. You know shat Sam will want to hit as many long/ high balls in he box and Gomez handles them better. Finally think Sturridge might get another start tomorrow. Other than that, BD team stands.
    "Yeah-it's the only house we have. Liverpool is my home and I will come back."- Rafa Benitez

Quote Originally Posted by Nomer the Red View Post
    I am trying to figure out what Robertson needs to do to get a game. Hopefully, he gets a game tomorrow' plus I think we might see TAA in for Gomez and then Gomez back for Moscow and the Bluesh*te. You know shat Sam will want to hit as many long/ high balls in he box and Gomez handles them better. Finally think Sturridge might get another start tomorrow. Other than that, BD team stands.
    Whatever it is, he's done it. TAA in. Can in central defense. Weird lineup. Should be fun.

Liverpool: Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Can, Robertson, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Salah, Coutinho, Firmino.

Subs: Karius, Klavan, Grujic, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Solanke, Sturridge.
    ‘How many mistakes are you allowed?’ Klopp asked the fourth official. ‘Because if it’s 15, you’ve got one left.’

I'm really upset that the ref gave that penalty which wasn't a penalty. Crazy thing, I always seem to call whenever teams are gonna score. After Can unnecessarily played the ball out for a cornet I said- they gonna score here- but I thought they were gonna score from the corner. Didn't know the ref would be in a generous mood to give them a penalty from Hendo running beside their player. I know the game as lost some of it's toughness but my god, it's worse than I thought.

After they scored from the gift I was praying we went on and score 6 but I can live with 5. The one thing I've noticed lately with the team is the defense bends but doesn't break which is a testament to the players and the coaches- they are always criticized about being soft but have been going about their jobs under the radar. Granted I didn't watch the Sivilla game but from some of what I read the scoreline from both halves didn't reflect the true measure of the game and some of the faults can be blamed on sub mismanagement. Plus the Chelsea goal was a fluke.

Now on the the next one, lets handle Moscow and wrap up winning the CL group then kick some blueshat ass.
    "Yeah-it's the only house we have. Liverpool is my home and I will come back."- Rafa Benitez

Administrator

Never a penalty, no way, no how. But…Liverpool and Mignolet lived dangerously here and there, Brighton played well enough in patches, so a goal for them (albeit dubiously earned) was about right.

Well we're beating the teams we should be beating, and need to beat to stay in the hunt for top 4. And we're playing some nice football too - that move for the second goal was a joy to watch. As was the counter that tore Albion apart for the third.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

The highlights made pleasant watching and that was definitely no penalty, so not sure about 'they deserved a goal' (other than it seems to be our normal BAU).

We have some frightening attacking line-up and choices to boot. A rotation between Phil, Bobby, Mo, Sadio, Adam, Danny (the sulky one) & Danny (the injured one) means we have lots of depth and plenty of cover. Even if Phil & Daniel go in the window (not something I'm supporting, mind), our front three are still amazing and maybe Aumbayang will come. Onward and upward.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp