Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Administrator

Default Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

One rumor has a 33 year old Javier Mascherano returning to Anfield.

There and then, on the spot, I would think our defensive problems are hugely minimised with the added bonus of the old dawg teaching the pups for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    One rumor has a 33 year old Javier Mascherano returning to Anfield.

There and then, on the spot, I would think our defensive problems are hugely minimised with the added bonus of the old dawg teaching the pups for the future.
    A 40 year old Mascherano would be better than anything we have now. At 33, its a no brainer, get him in if he'll come.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Gomez? TAA?
    Forgot about TAA, U21's I was thinking more developed so didn't include Gomez. Thinking more of U20's through U16's.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    With any luck he'll negotiate a low release clause with Juve. He'll get paid a lot of money by Italian standards. If he comes good (outplays his salary) we can always buy him at his release price and pay him the money he will then be worth. Which he isn't worth now.

Nothing personal, just business.
    For me I'm not so bothered about Can staying or going. I've seen plenty improvement this year but at times he still looks cumbersome. Repeat that he thinks he's a Rolls Royce but has the chassis of a VW. That's not to say he won't be a top player, but plenty of players at 22-24 that have potential and very few kick on. Possible that the combination of him and Hendo make him look less effective, they both do a lot of slow sideways passes. But in general for me he doesn't have enough spark, I don't see many "wow" moments from him and think we could replace him without too much concern. I wouldn't have a problem with what could be considered a risk, seeing what Grujic is made of.

So at this point, if we can get a fee for him in January, I'd take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware Red View Post
    So at this point, if we can get a fee for him in January, I'd take it.
    That was always my point. I am not really bothered about him going to Juve (or even City, where he will ride the pines). I'm just curious that we didn't re-up the contract to monetize his value (even with a release clause). Maybe someone did the calculus about the expected value vs. the fact we are paying him lower wages, but given what even average players are going for these days, not sure that made much business sense.

I'd start giving Grujic a bit more game-time, too. He's a big unit and has some skills.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Colour me unimpressed with the persistent Salah rumours. Missed on him last time around and I don't recall being impressed by him at Chelsea. Pacey, but a bit light-weight I recall.

Unfortunately, he's exactly the kind of bang-on-average type of signing we normally make.
    Exactly the kind of in-depth, spot-on analysis we have come to expect on this board...
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

It’s what keeps me coming back.