Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Default Summer Transfer Window 2017

I've avoided starting this thread, as I guess the top-four chase has kept me reasonably engaged. Sounds like we will have cash to spend and positions to fill, but the latest rumours linking us with Fabregas were interesting. Strikes me more as agent-puff to get his fee increased for United to swoop in; I don't really see it happening. Question is, would you?
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Default Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

I guess that's a resounding 'No', then, eh?

Watching the game yesterday, it occurred to me that our full-backs, while serviceable, don't seem to bring much to the attacking plate. Not sure what has happened to Clyne, but less and less convinced about him. I guess with TAA as back-up, not a problem worth solving, but lack of an attacking option other than Moreno at LB is.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Coutinho being tapped up by Barcelona. Love the little guy but for 90mm? I'd take it.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

Have read somewhere that there's only one Spanish outlet reporting it. No one else seems to confirm. Whole host of reasons why Barca wouldn't want him, duplicate, surplus to requirements, etc., but €90m is a nice number, especially if you add in Sturridge and Sakho.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    Have read somewhere that there's only one Spanish outlet reporting it. No one else seems to confirm. Whole host of reasons why Barca wouldn't want him, duplicate, surplus to requirements, etc., but €90m is a nice number, especially if you add in Sturridge and Sakho.
    It's a nice little number, and as much as I love him, he's not quite yet hitting the elite status. Injuries hamper him, he has runs of awful form and isn't quite making the stats in goals and assists you want from the #1 attacking outlet. He's still developing, and I think the next 3 seasons will be his primetime so reluctant to see him go. We've got him well wrapped up so the figure has to be 70m but it's no surprise to this FSG doubter that our war chest will be self-generated.

Letting him go would be fine if we really go out and get better. And I just don't see us doing that.

We've been through the Coutinho rumours every summer he's been with us, so not something I'm sweating on.

I think the Milner left-back experiment has worked very well this season but isn't one you want to continue into next season. Milner was a central midfielder and only converted when we quickly realised in the Arsenal game what a liability Moreno was.

Presuming Milner has a decent contract, so unable to off-load, I expect he'll be given the Lucas role of filling when needed next season in the central holding midfield role. Lucas almost certainly will move on.

So a LB must be up near the top of the list, Brandt is a name banded about, I don't see much German football but seems like everyone likes him, and he's young so fits the bill for me. Clyne gives you 6 or 7 out of 10 every week. We do need a few more 8's and 9's and where he fails is his attacking ability. Strange as he smashed a worldie against us inside the box for Southampton and I thought we were getting this Marcus Alonso type full back.

A definite "meh" to the Fabregas idea, although he would bring something we don't have much of currently. Ordinarily I'd take the $90 Mill for Phil and run, but I too have little faith we'd be willing or able to go out and reinvest in a same level / better player. Striker, fullbacks, CB, DM, AM, we've got a lot of holes / upgrades / depth issues for sure.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Is Fabregas free?

If it's a case of another Milner type signing, where we're not giving money to another club, but handing out 10m in agency and signing on fees plus 150k a week then I'm fine with that for 2 years, given we'll have some form of European football next year, so in need of more depth. Being able to bring in Fabregas in December when Coutinho did his ankle would have certainly seen us already qualified for the CL now and maybe, maybe, would have meant we were a lot closer to Chelsea. Goals have dried up 2nd half of the season but a lot of that is the supply also.

The margins really are one or two players, luck with injury and also form. Fabregas has been excellent in 2017 and still has what it takes to run a game, like Xabi, for another year or two. Not sure he fits the Klopp mould but worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware Red View Post
    Is Fabregas free?

If it's a case of another Milner type signing, where we're not giving money to another club, but handing out 10m in agency and signing on fees plus 150k a week then I'm fine with that for 2 years, given we'll have some form of European football next year, so in need of more depth. Being able to bring in Fabregas in December when Coutinho did his ankle would have certainly seen us already qualified for the CL now and maybe, maybe, would have meant we were a lot closer to Chelsea. Goals have dried up 2nd half of the season but a lot of that is the supply also.

The margins really are one or two players, luck with injury and also form. Fabregas has been excellent in 2017 and still has what it takes to run a game, like Xabi, for another year or two. Not sure he fits the Klopp mould but worth considering.
    He's been around so long, it's hard to believe he literally just turned 30.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Administrator

I like Fabregas, but my understanding is that while he is the midfield puller of strings so to speak, the tracking back and defensive component to his game are deficient.

While I don't necessarily have a problem with that, Klopp wants two-way players, especially in the midfield and forward line. Firmino being the best example. Now if Klopp is happy with Fabregas and doesn't bring him in expecting him to be a fill-in defensive midfielder, then cool. In that respect, it could work.