Thread: Stoke away? How we love it! Easy.

Administrator

Default Stoke away? How we love it! Easy.

Exactly the sort of team you want to be playing now. Won't be relegated, won't play in Europe next season, their season is pretty much over. But that's not the way it is for Liverpool in the last few seasons. Top 6, or top half of table, we usually give a fair account of ourselves. But once you go south of that halfway point, the troubles begin for us.

We should have been 2 or 3 up the other night when Bournemouth equalized, but there's is an inability to put teams away, always leaving them with some hope. On paper, theoretically and all the rest of it, we should be way too strong for them and should handle them easily. But I think we all know it won't be like that.

Manč, Lallana and Henderson out, Coutinho iffy. Sturridge and Matip back. Origi maybe hitting another one of those rich seams of form. On top of a bollocking from Klopp (I'm sure), I'm going to say this game will be a win. Otherwise we let all the muppets back in the CL race.

Administrator

Default Re: Stoke away? How we love it! Easy.

Mignolet,

Lovren, Klavan, Matip,

Clyne, Alexander-Arnold,
    Can, Wijnaldum, Milner,

Origi, Woodburn.

Subs: Karius, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge, Grujic, Moreno, Lucas.

Administrator

Incredible stat. First league win without Manč in the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    Incredible stat. First league win without Manč in the side.
    Wow.

Well that all ended well, 3 points however they come are crucial. We now have the points in the bag, another team in a similar position to Stoke who can barely move up or down one place in the rest of the season, WBA, should be another game we comfortably win. But we know it won't be like that.

Nice to see Sturridge on the field actually working hard and smiling.

If there ever was an advert for how thin our squad is, that first half was it. I do like the idea of subbing in the big guns to avoid us p*ssing away games at the end tho. Three HUGE points. And kudos to Mignolet, those were some world class reaction saves.
    Last edited by RyeRed; April 10th, 2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: grammar
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by RyeRed View Post
    If there ever was an advert for how thin our squad is, that first half was it. I do like the idea of subbing in the big guns to avoid us p*ssing away games at the end tho. Three HUGE points. And kudos to Mignolet, those were some world class reaction saves.
    If we do make the top 4 this summer, and having scraped 3 points against Stoke added to the capitulation from Arsenal last night, I'm fairly confident we will, it could be considered a master stroke by Klopp with his development of the kids.

I've questioned his lack of use of them earlier in the season, certainly 3-0 up at Boro with 20 minutes left to leave Woodburn on the bench and only give TAA 2 minutes baffled me, but 45 minutes at Stoke will stand them in good stead. Woodburn looked what he is, a lightweight kid. TAA has pace to help out where physically he is lacing but both will grow in time physically. When Woodburn does get the ball, he looks very at ease.

Can't find it to link it, but there was a good article I read about kids coming through by Paul Tomkins (who usually gets on my nerves). Very few players burst onto the scene at 17, you think of Owen and Rashford, but even now Rashford is struggling a little. With Owen you were talking about one of the best forwards the PL has seen in terms of raw pace and natural finishing ability, that's a pretty high bar, maybe Messi above him at that age.

Coutinho at that age was playing in the Brazilian 2nd tier, I think it said he played 10 games and didn't score. After that he went on to be an Inter reserve, before he came to us and he developed into now what must be considered "world class". I'm not saying Woodburn will be as good as Coutinho, he could be, but next season when we spend "£200m net" (yeah right) and have a squad of 24 ready for 60 games in the season, Klopp may well have got himself 2 players for nothing that will add value to the squad in any game. This summer will be about physical development for those two boys.

I read a thread on twitter last night after Harry Wilson scored twice, 30 goals for the season, and everyone is baffled why he doesn't get a game in the first team more often. There must be some reason why Woodburn has been on the bench for the first team about 20 times this season, and Wilson only about once or twice. Klopp obviously can see something about him in training.

So yes, our squad is thin and I'm the first to moan because this season was a genuine chance to win the league (in the end even with 2 more world class players, we may not have made up the difference to Chelsea who have been exceptionally consistent) but we're in pretty good shape for next season already. (But please don't start Woodburn & TAA against another team of giants Sunday!)