Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man City vs. Liverpool: Top Four Tussle before the International Break

Default Man City vs. Liverpool: Top Four Tussle before the International Break

Thinking Hendo & Lovren are probably still MIA for this Sunday evening's battle at the Eithad. Not sure about Firmino. City are a little fragile and we have a bit of a hoo-doo against them, but they are a very good side.

A point would be a result, but this is the kind of game normally made for us. We'll see.

Dave's Team:

Mignolet

Clyne Matip Klavan Milner

Lallana Can Windaldum

Mane Firmino Coutinho
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Default Re: Man City vs. Liverpool: Top Four Tussle before the International Break

Lovren played most of the game for the U23's last night in a 2-0 win against Chelsea, so may be available for selection this weekend, I can't really work out what the deal is with returning from injury these days and needing pre-seasons and training.....

I think Klavan will get the nod anyway, and think the team will be as Dave lines up. Coutinho has an excellent record against Citeh an he certainly needs a big game. Lost his mojo of late, every shot is being blocked, his little body feint is being read too often and passing just not quiet on radar. Good time to turn it around though.

A loss hear pretty much puts Citeh away and clear, I think Spurs may have some issues is Kane is out for 5 or 6 weeks, but we're getting to the crux of things now and picking up at least a point, or continuing our good record against City and winning would be massive. United are now hitting that bumpy patch, lots of games and injuries / suspensions mounting, they've a Europa game to deal with Thursday then a lunchtime Sunday game up at Boro. Hoping the cracks are starting to show, Rojo gets banned and they start to drop points.

I'm not nervous at all, not that I'm certain we'll win, but we just suit these games.

3-0 red men, Coutinho first goal.

Default Re: Man City vs. Liverpool: Top Four Tussle before the International Break

So will going out of the CL be good or bad for their morale on Sunday?
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Won't make their defense any better. We need to keep our heads, play our game and go right at them.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

Administrator

Difficult to know about last night's result. Had they won, they'd be talking about keeping on keeping on. Now that they've lost, they're talking about turning it around, ending the slump. So either way, they should be up for it. But are they good enough?

It's been one of the (minor) surprises of the season that under Guardiola, City are not hugely better than under Pellegrini. I see there's talk of 18 players getting their walking papers in the off season. So Monaco notwithstanding, City have their problems and I do think that Liverpool are not the team they would want to be playing. I think with their respective teams, Klopp has the measure of Guardiola. At the same time, maybe City are due one.

They probably have have enough for top 4 and maybe the FA Cup. In my opinion, they're vulnerable and there for the taking, but I don't know if we have what it takes to do the business there. More likely a draw. And perhaps it's a measure of how far we've come under Klopp that there'll be mild disappointment if we "only" draw at City.

I also think a lot of people are underestimating Monaco, they're an excellent team. Sure half of them will end up at City next season, more sure none of them will end up at Liverpool next season.

You don't get away with a leaky defence in the PL like you can do in Spain or Germany. Stones has been a disappointment and Pep has had a nightmare with his keepers. We should go and do what we do best and take the game to them, try to compound their misery.

Not heard any injury updates, the frustrating b*llocks we hear about "Jordan not quite ready" week after week makes me presume Hendo is out until April, is Firmino back?

Administrator

Mignolet,

Clyne, Matip, Klavan, Milner,

Wijnaldum, Can, Lallana,

Mane, Firmino, Coutinho.

Subs: Karius, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Origi, Woodburn, Alexander-Arnold.

A sign of our improvement that I'm disappointed we didn't come away with all 3 points yesterday. Perhaps rode our luck with a few chances that Silva and Aguero missed, but they couldn't even get them on target and Mignolet was relatively untroubled.

The Lallana miss was shocking but across the team everyone worked hard and bar Phil, who continues to look lost, and Origi, who came on and seemed as if he'd been on the p*ss for the weekend, we looked a top 4 team. The squad does just need some more depth. Firmino ran out of steam and I can't help think if we had an out and out beast of a forward like Aubayamang or dare I say Lukaku, then we wouldn't have to play players who aren't match fit.

Emre Can put 2 fingers up at the critics, and Gini is just awesome.

Entertaining game to watch and could have gone either way. Draw was probably a fair result and would have taken it at the outset.

Agree with all your comments on the team. Can definitely playing for a new contract/better resale value right now, so fine with that. What happens in the summer will happen.

Last of the top-four competition played, so the 'Brain' needs to sharpen his pencil for a plan to put the West Broms & West Hams to the sword to see out our Top Four goal.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

... and is there any other player, you'd rather have take a crunch penalty at this point? Jeez. Milner is ice cold.
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp