Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Gerard our future?

Default Is Gerard our future?

I hope I have this in the right forum.

Just in case you haven't seen this. I first caught it on SkySportsNews

As covered in Liverpool Echo

But in just a few years from now, commentators could be saying: “Remember the name – Gerard Garner.”

For the 11-year-old Kirkby striker has just smashed Rooney’s all-time Liverpool Boys under-11s goal-scoring record – with still two games left in the season.
    There is, however, one major ‘colour’ difference: Garner is a Red and Rooney, certainly when growing up, was a committed Blue and it may be Gerard prefers his role models from Melwood.

“Wayne is a great player and I enjoy watching him,” he continued admiringly.

“But I have been signed up by the Liverpool Academy and really like Fernando Torres.

“For me, he is my sort of striker and I love to watch him play and score.”
    Whatever team this lad ends up with I hope he has continued success... (and I kinda hope he continues to be a Red)

Walton, Liverpool ... not far from Anfield & Goodison

Default Re: Is Gerard our future?

He's young but if he continues like that and for Liverpool in the future, he'll be on par with Fowler and Ovven!
    TGLucario- YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

we need another decent forward...who will take the chances afforeded him....will we now struggle to maintain our hold on second spot.... - birkenheadred

maybe Connie could be our Forward player we need ... she'll scare away the defenders to leave an open path to good - TGL

H'mmm, the new Michael Owen! Cute and scary at the same time! - Uncle Spike

R.I.P. Rocol - You'll Never Walk Alone

Its great to see he's a RED and a red joining liverpool academy....
    Looking at him next to Howard Kendall in the photo he looks extreemly tall for his age...
    Deffo one to keep a very keen eye on over the next few years...home grown to always adds that extra bit of intrest...
    "I will leave no stone unturned in my quest, that quest will be "RENTLESS" in putting liverpool back on the map as a successful football club; "BRENDAN RODGERS".

Administrator

He's 11. There have been wunderkinds, can't miss type of players of 18 who were washed up at 20. Let's hold off here a bit on any coronation.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    He's 11. There have been wunderkinds, can't miss type of players of 18 who were washed up at 20. Let's hold off here a bit on any coronation.
    I was thinkin exactly the same thing which for me is a scary thought, i'm sure it is for you too. That's twice in one week we've agreed!

Let's see if he can keep up his progress once he hits his teens/twenties when the real temptations in life kick in...

Els

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    Agreed. I liked how he didn't really know he was close to the record until near the end and attributed his success to his team as well. I hoping that wise head on such young shoulders serves him well.

I know from second hand experience (my assistant's son) that the next few years get more than a little frustrating many young players who are used to playing all the time get quite restricted on who they can play for and how often, once signed and that leads to disillusionment for many. I hope he has better support at LFC Academy than my friend's son had at another club.

For all its faults this is where I like the US system better (but feel there are a lot of cracks kids can fall through too) where you play for your school plus any clubs (as far as I understand it). I know a local lad that is probably the best player on the school's team and also a long distance (state titles) track star. I don't know if his skills would hold up because of the restrictions of the school system but I know I will be looking out for information about him in both track and footballing worlds.

Ironically, there is a big feature on Rooney in the Sunday Times today, which contains a brief mention of young Gerard as possibly the next scouse footballing genius!

In this feature, there are all sorts of people who claim that it was "inevitable" that Rooney would make the grade, and that he was a "dead cert" to develop into a great player. Well. twenty-twenty hindsight is a wonderful thing!

And Rooney was undoubtedly helped by the fact people weren't heaping pressure on him at the age of 11, like is unfortunately already happening to this poor lad.

Agree with Samarkand. Far too soon for the lad to be recieving any sort of publicity and attention, and I hope the club will protect him a lot better in future.
    1977*1978*1981*1984*2005* "We'll remember, with advantages, what feats we did those days!" Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spike View Post

Agree with Samarkand. Far too soon for the lad to be recieving any sort of publicity and attention, and I hope the club will protect him a lot better in future.
    Too late for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by LIRed View Post
    Too late for that now.
    That rather depends on how determined you are. I remember the near-total publicity ban Ferguson imposed around the young Ryan Giggs. As you would expect with ol' Red Conk, it was mafia-like in it's ruthlessness, with journalists who approached/bothered Giggs or his family threatened with life-bans fron Old Trafford, and it lasted well past the time when Giggs made his first team debut. Giggs himself, of course, was contractually banned from speaking to the press for most of his early career.

Not saying we should be quite as dictatorial as Sour Alex, but I believe we could be doing a lot more to cool the pre-mature press interest in this youngster.
    1977*1978*1981*1984*2005* "We'll remember, with advantages, what feats we did those days!" Henry V

This kind of thing is seen time and time again. I remember seeing Freddie Adu at 12 looking like a world beater and now he's an average player, but he's one of the few that actually do make it. It's almost a nothing story.

And being hyper critical, while the story ran on Sky Sports News the kid was doing kick ups and honestly his touch didn't look that special!!!