Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battlestar Galactica

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica

Quote Originally Posted by LFCfanatic9 View Post
    English actors with perfect American accents. It's the craze. Did you know the producers for House didn't even know that Hugh Laurie was English? They thought he was taking the piss when he spoke in his regular voice.

To be fair, his voice and pitch on House are very different from his other works like Jeeves and Wooster or Blackadder.
    Apparently it doesn't go as far as Scotland. Has anyone ever heard how bad Ewan McGregor's American accent is?
    "It's cool."
    - Jurgen Klopp

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Apparently it doesn't go as far as Scotland. Has anyone ever heard how bad Ewan McGregor's American accent is?
    But Jonny Lee Miller's on "Eli Stone" is actually pretty good, I think.... Kevin McKidd (another "Trainspotting" alumnus) sounds totally English on "Rome"; Robert Carlyle had a pretty awful Irish accent though on "24" - why cast a Scotsman to play an Irishman?

American actors can rarely do good British accents without it sounding ott usually but a number of Brit/Irish/Aussies can do ours quite well. It is odd -

* A few on "The Wire" (Stringer, McNulty, Carcetti)

* Ian McShane on "Deadwood"

* Jason O'Mara - "Life on Mars" (American version)

* Toni Collette, Rachel Griffiths, Nicole Kidman - only lumped together as they're all Aussies but have played Americans a number of times; the first two that's all they do now practically!

And of course Hugh Laurie. But I guess this isn't really new - I mean it was years before I realized Vivian Leigh was English!
    Dalglish - The King in the North(west)

Quote Originally Posted by ConnieLFC View Post

* Ian McShane on "Deadwood"
    Absolute legend! Never really saw much of his work, but his role as Teddy Bass in Sexy Beast was just cold as ice! He even got that hollow look in his eyes at the rigth times in the film.

As for Deadwood, epic is all I can say. Hate to admit it, but his rage comes to mind when I watch the footy at times!

I remember laughing at Jonny Lee Miller's accent in Hackers back in the day. Sounded a bit John Wayne like at times. I remember thinking the film as so cool back in the day. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Definately made for it with Trainspotting. More his element.

Ewan McGregor's accent in Black Hawk Down is pretty cringe worthy too. Like to see how it is now when he comes out with "I love you, Phillip Morris" with Jim Carrey.

* Toni Collette, Rachel Griffiths, Nicole Kidman - only lumped together as they're all Aussies but have played Americans a number of times; the first two that's all they do now practically!
    Another Aussie you can put in this is Simon Baker who stars in the Mentalist. I saw an interview with him a few months back and I was shocked at how strong Aussie accent is, you would never know by watching him on the show.
    "Yeah-it's the only house we have. Liverpool is my home and I will come back."- Rafa Benitez

Anfield Sub
    LFC International Brigade: Jersey C.I. Battalion

In the past most American actors did do awful English accents, but now they all seem to be able to master it.
    Remember watching Denzil Washington in a film in which he played an ex para from Sarf Lahndon (Queen & Country?) and then shortly after seeing him in the superlative Glory, and thinking "Wow! you'd actually think that cockney lad was a Yank"
    The first time I saw Robert Carlyle's loveable rogue Albie in Cracker I thought he was actually a Scouser. He seemd to have lost it a bit by the time he had to reprise it in 51st State, but as virtually everyone else (even Scousers who have grown up without the accent) fails to nail it, major props to the Scot.
    No Passaran!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomer the Red View Post
    I missed most of last season and the first few episodes of this one but I'm fully hooked again. So Big D, who do you think is number six? Plus are you looking forward to the spin off, Caprica?
    Bump....

Started last Friday over here - I just got around to watching the first episode (which I believe is the pilot that was released as a standalone disc last year?). Dave, think it starts next week on one of the Sky channels. Never did manage to Netflix BSG but probably will do so now as I probably should have a better idea of the whole mythology around the show.

Curious what people thought if anyone saw it? I like (I think)....
    Dalglish - The King in the North(west)

Bump....

Started last Friday over here - I just got around to watching the first episode (which I believe is the pilot that was released as a standalone disc last year?). Dave, think it starts next week on one of the Sky channels. Never did manage to Netflix BSG but probably will do so now as I probably should have a better idea of the whole mythology around the show.

Curious what people thought if anyone saw it? I like (I think)....
    I just saw your post Connie and I don't know what to make of Caprica as yet. There are some potential great developing story lines but who knows. I want to see where the writers take the story of the Zoe Graystone and the Adama, Graystone conflict. I think having the memories of Zoe storied in the Cylon is a great touch that can either be great for the series if it's done correctly. The other story line that I'm a bit excited about is the idea that she was part of the "One God" cell that blew up the train. Lastly, am I the only one who really suspicious of Sister Clarice, with her many husbands and wives, I'm as liberal as the next man/ woman but I can't trust someone who needs so many people to satisfy their sexual appetite.
    "Yeah-it's the only house we have. Liverpool is my home and I will come back."- Rafa Benitez